[Vision2020] Hawkins Mall and Moscow

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 18:36:09 PST 2008

Not trying to necessarily take a contrary view, simply trying to
understand...

Where exactly will the mall be located?  I've heard "just across the
border", but where, exactly?  Is it relatively close to Applebees and
Walmart?  If it's close enough to need to connect to our water mains,
won't this have the offsetting effect of bringing more Washington state
dollars to our mall, Walmart, fast food joints, etc?  If they're already
over here, won't at least a few people get their groceries at Winco
instead of driving back to Pullman and across the town to get to a
grocery store?

Won't this bring people from out of the area, some of whom will shop
here in Moscow?  Do we really expect that many fires or police calls to
this megamall to really affect their readiness to handle in-town
emergencies?

I understand about the water issues.  It's all the same milkshake and
their straw could suck it dry, just like was mentioned in the "There
will be blood" movie.  I can understand being concerned about our
aquifer, and I share that concern.  However, at least we're getting some
compensation for it.

I'm also on your side about the secrecy.  Very few reasons should
justify secrecy in our city government, and protecting the pockets of
fatcats should definitely not be one of them.

Paul