[Vision2020] I saw Barak Obama in Boise

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 01:05:49 PST 2008

Paul,

  He was actually bigger than that in person, that cheap camera sure did make him look way far away though didn't it? I don't think I will buy a disposable camera again.

  I know Obama is against torture and is against the war in Iraq. He wants to increase attacks in on the terrorists, not Iraq.

  I don't so much believe in everything Obama believes, but I believe in him as a person. I think he brings people together and thus will produce results. He isn't perfect, and I think he is still learning. But he is smart, and would do a good job as President, even if his stances on the issues are not mirror to mine, and he would have to learn a little bit when he entered the office. But an investment I would make. He is a sharp charismatic guy.

  I respect McCain, and would vote for him over Hillary.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I'm glad you got to see him, even if he was a speck off in the distance.

I heard the most positive thing yet to come out this whole circus today
on NPR. I only caught a few seconds, but they were talking about how
Obama was saying that he can relate to Muslims because of his unique
background among the candidates. He has lived in Muslim countries and
can relate to them because of that. However, he's a Christian, and can
presumably relate to them as well. He feels that he is in the unique
position of being able to make some headway in closing the rifts between
our two ways of life.

This is in direct opposition to the party line (for both parties), which
seems to be that Muslims are potential terrorists and should be directly
feared. This strikes at the heart of many of our current problems
today. We've let the terrorists terrorize us. We bought into the fear,
and it has cost us. We've had the exact reaction that was wanted, we've
played right into their hands. It has also played directly into the
hands of those who wish to use a threat as an excuse to control us. We
were manipulated into attacking Iraq. I, for one, don't appreciate
being manipulated. Our President, according to a news article I read a
few days ago, had placed attacking Iraq and taking down Saddam Hussein
on the agenda as a future goal as few as eight days after he was
inaugurated. Long before 9/11.

I appreciate McCain's point that (in essence) the toothpaste is out of
the tube and there's no going back now. However, I think Obama would
bring to the plate ideas that would never occur to McCain. At least
McCain would stop the torture, and we might be able to get a shred of
our dignity back. I imagine Obama would do so as well, though I haven't
heard his position on it.

Paul