[Vision2020] I saw Barak Obama in Boise

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 21:40:40 PST 2008

I had the privilege of being able to get into the Taco Arena in Boise and seeing Obama speak in person. Granted, I didn't get to meet him, or even get close.

  There was about 12,000-14,000 people that tried to get into the building. I think about 2,000 people were left out in the cold. The wait to get in was about 2 hours in the freezing cold. The line outside stretched the entire campus. It was obvious that far more people showed up then they had anticipated. As the place was set up for only about 4,500-9,000 people. They had to open the whole building, the largest indoor arena in Boise, completely.

  The security was really tight. They would not let us bring anything in, no bags, cups, purses, fanny packs, etc. I was afraid they would not let us bring cameras, so I brought only a cheap $4 throw away one, because I didn't want to have to choose between tossing an expensive camera or going into the building. My cheap camera didn't take very good pictures. You cannot even see him hardly on stage. But nonetheless, the experience of seeing and hearing Obama live in person, was well worth the hell and discomfort I experienced to see him. : )

  Here is a horrible photo of the event with my cheap camera. It looks like he is 500 yards away, but he was only about two basketball courts away from me. The people you see in the audience is only about 1/20 of the people there, as there are three floors of seating on four sides of seating of the building, all full, and more outside and standing in the hallways.

  Obama is in the middle of the stage, you can hardly see him. I tried to move closer but the tight security frowned on people moving around. I counted at least 8 Secret Service on the floor, and clothed officers at every balcony door.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan