[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for February 1, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 1 05:40:52 PST 2008

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for February 1, 2008 -

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
February 1, 2008

Dear Friends,

This week I am delighted to highlight our 2008 inductees into the
University of Idaho Alumni Association Hall of Fame. These Vandals have
achieved remarkable national and international distinction through their
career and leadership accomplishments. We'll induct these great Vandals
into the Hall of Fame at a ceremony on May 9 as part of our May
Commencement celebration:

* Dr. Todd Kuiken  - is associate dean of Academic Affairs at the
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Feinberg School of Medicine and
director of the Neural Engineering Center for Artificial Limbs at the
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. As a physician-scientist, Kuiken has
been a leader in the design and implementation of new prosthetic systems.
His achievements have improved, and continue to improve, the quality of
life for amputees. Kuiken majored in biology and mechanical engineering at
Idaho from 1978-81.

* Otis Livingston '91 - is remembered by Vandal fans for his leadership on
the basketball court. He helped lead Idaho to the 1990 NCAA Men's
Basketball Tournament. With his degree in telecommunications, Livingston
became a sports broadcaster and now is sports anchor for "Today in New
York" on WNBC-TV in New York. He also has contributed to NBC Sports
coverage of the NBA and Stanley Cup finals, the World Series, the U.S.
Open tennis championship and the Athens and Torino Olympic Games.

* Dayaldas T. Meshri '68 - is founder, president and chief executive
officer of Advanced Research Chemicals based in Catoosa, Oklahoma, and
with facilities in Mexico and India. The company is one of the world's
largest producers of custom fluorine-based chemicals. A native of India,
Meshri earned his doctoral degree in chemistry at Idaho. He also serves on
the board of directors for the Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of
Science and Technology and is an active philanthropist.

My admiration and congratulations go to these alumni, who embody the
University of Idaho's "legacy of leading."

Much of the nation has been suffering from large storms this winter, and
Idaho is no exception. On Thursday, Jan. 31, we closed the University for
the first time since 1990... we try and avoid closing at all costs. As I
write this letter, it is not yet clear if additional days of closure will
be necessary. Our Web site will communicate updates by 6:00 a.m. on
Friday, Feb. 1.

Our first priority as a student-centered university is to think of the
impact of such storms on the health, welfare and educational opportunities
of our students, and of the safety and welfare of our dedicated employees.
Health and safety issues such as interruptions in heat, food service,
transportation, parking, etc. - not only on campus but in the surrounding
community, where employees and some students live and from whence they
commute - must all be taken into account. Throughout Wednesday night
information from state and city police, Facilities staff, senior
university leadership, and weather reports from NOAA (National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration) and other sources were consulted. Once the
decision to close was made, it was communicated as quickly as technology
allows, using e-mail, the Web site, the news media and phone calls to
administrative offices and residence halls.

I want to express my gratitude, on behalf of all the students, faculty and
staff, to the hard-working staff members who are keeping abreast of this
storm, as they have all winter long. Our Facilities personnel are
particularly challenged by this weather, and we want them to know that we
deeply appreciate their efforts.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Jacob "Jake" Leachman '05, '07 has received the 2008 Western Association
of Graduate Schools (WAGS)/University Microfilms International
Distinguished Master's Thesis Award. Leachman's thesis, "Fundamental
Equations of State for Parahydrogen, Normal Hydrogen and Orthohydrogen,"
develops formulations that advance research in hydrogen as an alternative
fuel. "This award demonstrates that Idaho has first-class faculty with
first-class research," says Leachman, who worked with mechanical
engineering professors Richard Jacobsen and Steve Penoncello. Leachman was
a Richard B. Stewart Scholar at Idaho and earned his bachelor's and
master's degrees in mechanical engineering. He now is pursuing his
doctoral degree at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. Originally from
Lewiston, Leachman came to Idaho on a football scholarship.

The National Medal of Arts presented to the Lionel Hampton International
Jazz Festival is on display in the University Library. The display
includes a life-sized sculpture of Lionel Hampton standing before his
actual set of Musser vibraphones. The sculpture is flanked by the
festival's 2007 National Medal of Arts and Hampton's personal National
Medal of Arts awarded to him in 1996. Rounding out the display is a
listening station, which features signature Hampton musical selections
provided by the University's International Jazz Collections. The display
is on view Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to midnight through February 18.
It will be on view in the Kibbie Dome during the jazz festival, February
20-23. Also, if you would like to be a festival volunteer, contact
Mickelle Strom at (208) 885-0114 or jazzvolunteer at uidaho.edu. Volunteers
are needed to help register student groups and manage student performance
sites.

Carl '68 and Kirby '68 Dyess of Beaverton, Oregon, recently made a
generous major gift to the University of Idaho to establish the Dyess
Faculty Fellowship Endowment
in the College of Science. The endowment will benefit students by helping
to ensure that the college retains outstanding faculty members. Kirby says
they made the gift because "having top-notch public universities is
critical to the future of Idaho and the nation; retaining excellent
faculty is key."  Carl earned an economics degree at the University and is
an attorney and business owner. Kirby earned a physics degree and runs her
own investment firm. She also currently serves as thepresident of the
Oregon State Board of Higher Education. She was inducted into the
University of Idaho Alumni Hall of Fame last May. For information about
giving to the College of Science, contact Eric Bennett at (208) 885-9106
or ebennett at uidaho.edu.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3