[Vision2020] UI Athletics Must Pay Its Fair Share

Love America skialaska0 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 15:11:03 PST 2008

Nick,
You are again attacking the wrong problem; the real problem is a bloated
administration that sucks the life out of the various colleges and
departments within the UI.  Since you have a long history at the UI, why
don't you propose that the administration take a cleaver to itself and cut
itself back to the size it had in the early 1980's?  Remember back then that
the University had roughly 8000 or so students, overhead on research grants
was 23%, and colleges and departments did not pay any "fees" to the central
administration?  That should be the goal of your arguement, not attacking
the athletic department.  After all, without athletics, racial
diversity would be non-existent at the UI; and attempts to maintain gender
equality would probably slip away.

I know that the move to the WAC has been a huge throne in your side;
however, there are far more females attending the UI with athletic
scholarships than in the Big Sky days.  Why do you and the leadership of the
union so despise athletic scholarships?   Why do you fight so hard to
destroy the one department at the UI that is largely responsible for racial
diversity?  So what if the football team has had a poor record in the last
few years; the upside is that the UI has these athletes as students.  The
NCAA stats clearly show that the UI has far better students than
most universities in the WAC, enjoy that and build on that.   Look at the
flip side at BSU, sure they were 12-1 this season, but their football
student athletes obviously are not there for the education and they proudly
admit it.   If the Ada County dominated state legislature wants to keep
supporting BSU athletic greatness at the expense of football players, fine.

Your cause, and the cause of the union, should be to force drastic cuts
within the central administration, that is where the problem really exists.
Stop attacking the one department that is largely responsible for the
diverse student body the UI enjoys.

Happy New Year,
Chris