[Vision2020] Fragments of our Lord

Joseph Campbell josephc at wsu.edu
Wed Dec 31 10:00:19 PST 2008

Thanks again, Wayne.

First, I¹m not surprised that Popper thought that the principle of the
uniformity of nature was falsifiable. And if you can find five contemporary
philosophers of science who still take Popper seriously, I¹ll buy you a hat.
Even if one could prove that ³a certain fundamental Œconstant¹ of nature may
be very, very slowly changing² how would it follow that nature was not
uniform? Change happens all the time. And if it is true that nature is not
uniform, what becomes of our scientific claims? What use is it that the law
of gravity has been ³proven² time and time again if it turns out that nature
is not uniform and tomorrow things might be different? What becomes of
science, of the status of laws of nature then?

It is interesting that you mention Wittgenstein. Here is a nice quote from
On Certainty, where he responds to G.E. Moore¹s suggestion that we can have
certain knowledge of our basic empirical beliefs: ³I believe that every
human being has two human parents; but Catholics believe that Jesus only had
a human mother. And other people might believe that there are human beings
with no parents, and give no credence to the contrary evidence. Catholics
believe as well that in certain circumstances a wafer completely changes its
nature, and at the same time that all evidence proves the contrary. And so
if Moore said ŒI know that this is wine and not blood¹, Catholics would
contradict him.² (239) My own views on this subject were very much
influenced by Wittgenstein.

Further, there need not be a ³ghost in the machine² assumption behind the
doctrine of transubstantiation. The view I argued for below holds that the
substance changes (from bread and wine to the body and blood of Christ) yet
none of the sensible qualities change. The sensible qualities are accidental
properties, meaning none of them are essential to the physical substances;
the qualities might remain the same even though the substances change. After
the change, it appears to be bread and wine but it is not. The view is not
that Christ¹s soul inhabits the bead and wine but that the bread turns into
his body and the wine turns into his blood. The body and blood of Christ,
like the original bread and wine, are physical things not immaterial
³ghosts.² I find it puzzling how you could have distain for a view that you
don¹t seem to fully understand.

I¹m not asking you to believe the doctrine of transubstantiation. I don¹t
believe it. My own views about the nature of the world are pretty close to
yours. Where our views differ is in our epistemological beliefs. You seem to
think that our world view is logically and empirically superior to others
whereas I have my doubts. And I know as well as I know anything that your
overly simplified logical positivist view won¹t work. To the extent that our
view of the world is supported it is supported to a large extent by
pragmatic considerations, like simplicity, and there is no way of reducing
simplicity, etc. to logic and experience.

You might reply that if two things share all of their sensible qualities,
and if there is no possible way to distinguish them, then the ³two² things
are really just one and the same thing. But this strikes me as just another
metaphysical principle given without argument in an effort to prop up
your/our world view and make it look more rational than it in fact is. Given
the principle it seems like the view follows from logic and experience
alone. But since the principle itself is not supported by logic and
experience, things are not as easy as you make it seem.

Lastly, you still seem to think that Christians who hold the doctrine of
transubstantiation are dangerous, even though you have not produced one
shred of empirical data to support your claim. You write: ³If someone
actually believes the doctrines of their religious faith, then those
doctrines cannot help but influence/guide their behavior. To the extent that
these doctrines are not testable and lead to harmful actions, those
doctrines and their basis ought be questioned, discussed, and exposed as
bunkum, including using ridicule to do this where possibly effective.²

Give me a break. What, precisely, is the harmful action that will result
from a belief in transubstantiation? As it stands, this is nothing more than
an unsupported accusation. It is ironic that some of my Christian friends
make the same false accusations about atheists: Atheism leads to harmful
actions, for after all if there is no God what is to prevent you from acting
any evil way that you¹d like? You have given no more reason to believe your
claims than my Christian friends have given me to believe their claims. From
my point of view, both are equally absurd.

I agree that there are instances in which one lets his irrational world
views get in the way and that this might have dangerous consequences. Bush¹s
views about the environment in general, and global warming in particular,
might be a good example. So I¹m not suggesting that pointing out religious
views, or world views in general, should be off-base. Nor am I suggesting
that humor and even ridicule about these matters is off-limits. (I thought
that some of Tom¹s jokes in this thread were pretty funny, for instance.)
But if I¹m going to comment on No Weatherman¹s ridiculous, racist rants
against Muslims and Africans, then I should be willing to say the same
against equally ridiculous claims about Christian doctrines, or Chas¹s even
more ridiculous claim that religion is ³a transitional stage between the
childhood and the adult phases of human development.² A view where one¹s
opponents ‹ and over half the population of the world ‹ come off as
infantile idiots is a little too convenient and certainly worthy of
commentary. Not that I think that I¹ve convinced you or Chas of anything,
mind you!

Best, Joe