[Vision2020] Snow Grouch

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 00:21:37 PST 2008

Saundra,

I didn't get my driver's license until I was 26 years old.  It expired
when I turned 30, and I didn't get another one until I was 42.  I'm 48
now, and I still walk nearly everywhere, during good weather and bad.
I'm not fleet of foot.  When I walk onto campus -- if there is any
hint of ice or snow on the ground - I fall.  I understand the perils
(and the joys) of being a pedestrian far more than most.

But I also understand that not everyone can live up to their
RESPONSIBILITIES as easily as others.  Life has dealt them different
hands.  I urged consideration for those people, nothing more.  They
have no militant anti-pedestrian agenda.

Note that I responded to Kit in kind, by the way.

As I said before, this is a problem without an easy solution.

I have no idea as to the expense of fitting our streets and sidewalks
with snow-melting apparatus, but it seems to me that it would
ultimately prove cost-effective, and quite logical in this region of
recurring snow.

Chas