[Vision2020] The 63rd UN General Assembly and the Right to Food

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Dec 22 06:06:26 PST 2008

There were several interesting votes, conducted by the 63rd UN General
Assembly (concerning refugees, social development, advancement of women,
promotion/protection of children's rights, right of peoples to self-
determination, etc. etc.), and I encourage you to read them.  However,
results of one particular vote (the right to food) disgusted me deeply as
an American.  The United State was the ONLY country to vote against it.
If anybody on this listserve feels that my belief in everybody't right to
food is, somehow, un-American or anti-American, simply because my belief
does not support the vote submitted by our government, PLEASE explain.

Excerpted from the Sixty-third General Assembly of the United Nations at:

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2008/ga10801.doc.htm

Vote on Right to Food

The draft resolution on the right to food (document A/63/430/Add.2) was
adopted by a recorded vote of 184 in favour to 1 against, with no
abstentions, as follows:

In favour:  Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and
Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas,
Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan,
Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam,
Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Central
African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa
Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Democratic
People’s Republic of Korea, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican
Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji,
Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada,
Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary,
Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica,
Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s
Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya,
Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia,
Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico,
Micronesia (Federated States of), Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco,
Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand,
Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama,
Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea,
Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and
Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino,
Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone,
Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa,
Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria,
Tajikistan, Thailand, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Timor-
Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan,
Tuvalu, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United Republic of
Tanzania, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen,
Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Against:  United States.

Abstain:  None.

Absent:  Cape Verde, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea,
Kiribati, Papua New Guinea, Seychelles, Uganda.

Merry Christmas, Moscow.