[Vision2020] Shoes thrown at President Bush

chasuk at gmail.com chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 15:33:06 PST 2008

On Dec 19, 2008 3:07pm, Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Your statement, "Does this mean that only the stupid and incapable should
become public defenders?", can only assume that anyone with lesser talent
of Sunil is "incapable and stupid." I disagree with that assessment. There
are plenty of other competent lawyer's that are not as good as Sunil.

And:

> I think there are more noble causes in life to fight for than the release
of a slew of convicted serial child molesters.

Sunil works with both the accused and the convicted, although I imagine
that he spends more time with the former than the latter. Hopefully, Sunil
will enlighten us on that point.

So the accused don't deserve the best defense possible? Or is it only the
convicted who deserve a second-rate defense? If Sunil happens to think --
as I hope he does -- that we are all equal under the law, then I wonder how
he reconciles giving his best on days that he represents the accused, and
giving his second-best on days that he represents the convicted?

Comments, Sunil?

> If I was a good lawyer, wanting to do good, freeing child molesters and
criminals back into my community would not be a first cause I would
champion.

Sunil might feel that defending the unjustly accused -- possibly from the
death penalty or a lifetime of incarceration -- is as important as plowing
snow.

His clients should understand when he tells them: "Look, I know that the
attorney replacing me isn't nearly as good as I am, but he is competent, I
swear! But I need to use my talents on nobler causes like widening
sidewalks and affordable housing. Say hello to your wife and kids for me
when you get out of prison."

Of course, all of the causes you listed are genuinely important. I'm not
mocking them.

Each and every one of us could be doing more to make the world a better
place, and Sunil is already doing more than I am, or will likely ever do.

Are you sure that you are qualified to throw stones?