[Vision2020] Rendezvous survey

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Wed Dec 17 23:42:47 PST 2008

I just completed the online survey from the Board of Directors of Rendezvous and lodged a concern about their almost total disregard of female artists.  This isn't the first time I've called it to their attention. I think I've lodged a complaint just about every year for the past four or five years.   Last year they had only one female, a really fine young MHS performer, Shiloh.  There were no other females performing on that stage Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.  This is the norm, not the exception.  If you share this concern with me, would you please add a comment to the survey.  I think there will be no parity, or even consideration of parity,  until it becomes a significant issue.  I'm not even considering staying home; this is my celebration, too.  I relish being a member of a community that prides itself on equity and fairness--and I believe the members of the Rendezvous board feel that way, as well.  Would though, they would practice that belief in a more substantial way.

And, yes, I know in the past there have been some remarkable women performing on the Rendezvous stage--Tish Hinojosa, the Dixie Chicks, and Kate Campbell were all wonderful, as was Mavis Staples--I was hoping Mavis' appearance was the beginning of a trend, but it didn't happen.

Sue Hovey