[Vision2020] Song That Is A Prayer For Love: "Sail Across The Water"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 17:34:03 PST 2008

keely wrote from the post at the bottom:

I'll continue to share what I've learned from the book, and pray that truth,
reason, and love prevail. It's still OK to pray for love, isn't it? The book
doesn't make it real clear . . .
----------

A prayer/song for love that is passionate, wise and beautiful beyond words;
lyrics are given below: YouTube audio/video of Jane Siberry's "Sail Across
The Water" from the album "When I Was A Boy" at URL below.  Skip the video
and just listen to the song, unless you want to watch a group of
"priestesses" praying/singing to the ocean on the shore... Some might find
this ridiculous, though I don't.  The audio on this YouTube offering is
passable, but preferably listen to this song from CD or vinyl on a high
resolution stereo, which YouTube videos often cannot accommodate.  I don't
think music can be experienced at the deepest levels when watching
accompanying video, though the video features Siberry with a group of
women who make clear the "prayerful" dimensions of the song.  Those who have
an inclination to view spirituality from a "female" perspective might find
value in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvFzeTz2pX4

-----------

*Jane Siberry *
**
*Sail Across the Water *

>From the album "When I Was A Boy"

love is trembling
trembling like the little bird we
hold within our hands
love is bending
bending towards the worried brow
here, let me wipe away your tears
love is kneeling
above the broken body
the ever-upturned face
love is missing
all the words are broken, help me
I cannot find my way
no, I can't
I need you love
come on love

will you sail 'cross the water
and lay your wisdom down?
and love will you sail 'cross the water
and tell us what you found?
and love will you sail 'cross the water
and hold us when we drown?
and love will you sail 'cross the water?
is anybody listening...?

love is trembling
trembling like the leaves
above the baby's bed
love is streaming
streaming with the tears that
we cannot seem to shed
love is frozen
frozen in the figure they just
pulled from the subway grate
love is burning
burning with the anger that we all feel
against which we kneel,
our faces pressed into the lap of loneliness
come on love

will you sail 'cross the water
and lay your wisdom down?
and love will you sail 'cross the water
and tell us what you found?
and love will you sail 'cross the water
and hold us when we drown?
and love will you sail 'cross the water?

are we not willing? are we not trying?
are we not trusting? are we not crying?
are we not children? are we not stumbling?
are we not wondering? are we not?

will you sail 'cross the water
and lay your wisdom down?
and love will you sail 'cross the water
and tell us what you found?
and love will you sail 'cross the water
and hold us when we drown?
and love will you sail 'cross the water?

are we not willing? are we not bending?
are we not frozen? are we not trembling?
are we not children? are we not trying?
are we not wondering? are we not?

love is trembling...
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett