[Vision2020] Testing Your Own Integrity

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Dec 8 11:40:41 PST 2008

Courtesy of "Character Counts" at:

Testing Your Own Integrity 596.2

Yes, the numbers of kids who steal and cheat is distressingly high, but is
this generation really worse than their parents?

To test that question, we’ve posted an online integrity assessment for
adults at:

http://tinyurl.com/IntegrityAssessment

In the past year, did you keep the money if a cashier gave you too much
change? Did you lie to your boss, a customer, or a significant other? Did
you use the Internet at work for personal reasons? Did you distort or
conceal facts on a resume or in a job interview? Did you inflate an
expense or insurance claim? Did you make unauthorized copies of software
or music? Did you lie about your child’s age to save money? Did you
provide your child with a false excuse for missing school? Did you lie
about your address to get your child into a better school?

A lack of integrity in any of these everyday matters is a moral
misdemeanor compared to the felonious fraud and corruption that have
shredded the economic foundation of our country, but they nonetheless
demonstrate your willingness to walk the talk – or not – when it comes to
honesty.

Most of us stray from our highest ethical ambitions from time to time, but
we usually do so selectively, convincing ourselves that we’re justified
and that occasional departures from our ethical principles are
inconsequential when it comes to our overall character.

Most of us judge ourselves by our best actions and intentions, but the
children who watch everything we do may be learning from our worst.

No one expects us to be perfect, but you might find it informative to take
our short test and see if you stray from the straight and narrow path of
your own ideals too far or too often. To access the test, go to

http://tinyurl.com/IntegrityAssessment

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"For a lapse Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman