[Vision2020] 50 Ways To Beat Deflation

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 13:42:11 PST 2008

Mike "Mish" Shedlock posted to his website this lyrics re-write with thanks
to "Stonewall" for previously posting this as a comment to
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com

For those who don't recognize this format, it's a revision of Paul Simon lyric
called 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover.

50 Ways To Beat Deflation

The problem is all inside your head, Ben said to me
The answer is easy if you wreck the currency
I'd like to reinflate your weak economy
There must be fifty ways to beat deflation

He said it really is my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my actions won't be historically misconstrued
I'm sick of all these pundits yelling "OMG We're Screwed"
There must be fifty ways to beat deflation
Fifty ways to beat deflation

Just bail out a bank, Hank
Mail out some checks, Rex
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just give 'em for free
Stamp up the moss, Ross
You don't need no Congress
Just shell out the bread, Fred
And do it for free

Just buy up some bonds, Ron
Quantitative ease, Louise
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just give it for free
Lower the rates, Nate
You don't need a Senate debate
Just drop it from planes, Jane
And do it for free

He said that hoarding cash won't do to ease our pain
I know there's something that will make you lend again
I said I appreciate that and would you please explain
About the fifty ways

He said I gave a speech on this way back in 2002
And it'll work if we all just see it through
But that guy Mish thinks my head is full of poo
There must be fifty ways to beat deflation
Fifty ways to beat deflation

(repeat chorus)

Ken