[Vision2020] Otter Orders Additional 3-percent Cut

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Dec 1 11:06:48 PST 2008

As corporate tax breaks in Idaho are ever on the increase, so are budget
cuts.  Hey, Otter's got to make up for that lost tax revenue somehow,
right?

Don't blame me.  I certainly didn't vote for him.

>From the Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

Otter orders additional 3-percent cut
December 1, 2008, 10:36 am

Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter has ordered agencies to cut another three percent
from their budgets as state officials blame a sputtering economy for
forcing them to downgrade their tax revenue forecasts for the second time
in three months.

Otter’s latest cuts will trim a total of $81 million from the state budget.

In September, the Republican governor ordered a 1 percent, or $27 million,
cut from the budget.

Collapsing construction activity, plummeting real-estate sales and
thousands of job cuts at companies like Micron Technology Inc., the
state’s biggest private employer, have forced Idaho agencies to tighten
their belts.

In the first round of cuts in September, most agencies were able to
achieve the savings with measures like not filling open positions.

Seeya in the soup line, Moscow.

"For a lapse Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."