[Vision2020] Fw: Letter to Editor from a Cuban - Independence Day

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 26 12:21:06 PDT 2008

The authenticity of this "Letter to the editor" is questionable at best.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/castro.asp

No problem, though, Roger.  Stick around for a little while and pretty
soon you will be able to quote it from Dale Courtney's blahg (whenever it
gets back online).

celebrate my
independence day, and on July 4  I celebrate America's. This year is
special, because it
marks the 40th anniversary of my independence.

> 'On June 30, 1968, I escaped Communist Cuba, and a few months later, I
was in the United
States to stay.  That I happened to arrive in Richmond on Thanksgiving Day
is just part of
the story, but I digress.

> 'I've thought a lot about the anniversary this year.  The election-year
rhetoric has made
me think a lot about Cuba and what transpired there.  In the late 1950s,
most Cubans
thought Cuba needed a change, and they were right.  So when a young leader
came along,
every Cuban was at least receptive.

> 'When the young leader spoke eloquently and passionately and denounced
the old system, the
press fell in love with him.  They never questioned who his friends were
or what he really
believed in.  When he said he would help the farmers and the poor and
bring free medical
care and education to all, everyone followed.  When he said he would bring
justice and
equality to all, everyone said, 'Praise the Lord.' And when the young
leader said, 'I will
be for change and I'll bring you change,' everyone yelled, 'Viva Fidel!'

> 'But nobody asked about the change, so by the time the executioner's
guns went silent, the
people's guns had been taken away.  By the time everyone was equal, they
were equally
poor, hungry, and oppressed.  By the time everyone received their free
education, it was
worth nothing. By the time the press noticed, it was too late, because
they were now
working for him.  By the time the change was finally implemented, Cuba had
been knocked
down a couple of notches to Third-World status.  By the time the change
was over, more
than a million people had taken to boats, rafts, and inner tubes.  You can
call those who
made it ashore anywhere else in the world the most fortunate Cubans.  And
now I'm back to
the beginning of my story.

> 'Luckily, we would never fall in America for a young leader who promised
change without
asking, what change?  How will you carry it out?  What will it cost
America?