[Vision2020] Duncan sentencing trial

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 22 12:52:47 PDT 2008

To be continued 8:30 AM (PDT), Monday.

>From Twitter at:

http://twitter.com/SpokesmanReview

----------------

Court is back in session.

The jury foreman said they've reached a decision. They're passing the note
to the judge.

Count 1: kidnapping resulting in death. Did jury find he was 18? Yes.

Did jury find prosecution has established intent? Yes.

Did the jury find he inflicted serious body injury resulting in death? Yes.

Reckless disregard for human life? Yes.

Intent factors have been addressed. Yes to all. Now they're reading the
verdict for the aggravating factors.

Committed offense after being convicted in the death of a person in which
a life sentence was imposed? Yes.

Did Duncan commit offense in an especially cruel or heinous matter that
involved torture and/or serious physical abuse? Yes to both.

Yes to question of Dylan's vulnerability as a victim.

Yes to question of whether he's a convicted sex offender.

The jury is confirming that the verdicts were read accurately.

The judge is still reading, but all this is making one thing clear: Joseph
Duncan is eligible for the death penalty, according to the jury.

Duncan waived his right to have the jury polled.

"Having so found, we will be continuing with the second phase," Lodge said.

The second phase of the Joseph Duncan death sentence hearing will begin
Monday at 9:30 a.m., mountain time.

Stay tuned . . .

Tom Hansen

> The jury has finished deliberating, they will make their announcement in
> a few minutes.
> Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you.  Find new ways to
share.
> http://www.windowslive.com/explore/photogallery/posts?
ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_P> hoto_Gallery_082008>

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)