[Vision2020] Hooters for Neuters

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 19 19:19:03 PDT 2008

>From the Kentucky Humane Society's website at:

http://tinyurl.com/Hooters4Neuters

"Hooters for Neuters" Encourages Men to Neuter Their Canine Friends

July 30, 2008 (Louisville, Ky.) Men may cringe at the idea of "snipping,"
but probably not at the thought of Hooters girls. That's why the Kentucky
Humane Society's S.N.I.P. Clinic will partner with a local Hooters
restaurant to host the area's first "Hooters for Neuters" on August 22.
The S.N.I.P. Clinic will offer $20 neuter surgeries to the first 60 male
canines with scheduled appointments.

First launched by No More Homeless Pets in Utah, the "Hooters for Neuters"
campaign uses the slogan, "Real men neuter their best friends." The
campaign targets men who otherwise may not consider having their male dogs
altered and has been replicated by animal welfare agencies throughout the
United States with great success.

"Some men associate neutering with taking away their dog's masculinity,"
said Lindsy Wallace, S.N.I.P. Clinic Director. "By teaming up with
Hooters, we hope to debunk this myth so more men understand the benefits
of spay/neuter and choose to neuter their own dogs."

The benefits of spaying and neutering extend beyond combating the area's
pet overpopulation crisis. An altered pet leads a longer, healthier life,
with reduced risks for contracting certain diseases and developing cancer.
In fact, a neutered dog can live up to three years longer and is less
likely to mark territory, vent sexual frustration and show signs of
aggression.

"Hooters for Neuters" will take place at the Hooters restaurant located in
Okolona at 7701 Preston Highway. Pet owners are asked to drop off their
dogs between 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. on Friday, August 22, so their canine
can be transported to the S.N.I.P. Clinic for surgery that day. While at
Hooters, participants will receive free coupons, a "Hooters for Neuters" t-
shirt and have the opportunity to win pet-related Hooters items.

Clinic appointments must be scheduled in advance by calling (502) 636-FIX1
[3491]. Low-cost vaccinations are also available at the time of surgery.

The S.N.I.P. Clinic is the area's only full-time, public spay/neuter
clinic, with surgery prices ranging from $35 to $65. The clinic plans to
alter 11,000 owned canines and felines this year. That, coupled with 5,500
adoptable pets altered each year, means KHS will spay or neuter more than
16,500 pets this year alone.

Scuttlebut has it that they are also sponsoring a program that escorts
wheel-chair bound visitors through a local bear zoo.  The program is
supposedly called "Meals on Wheels" or something like that.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)