[Vision2020] "Six Degrees" Wins Prestigious Royal Society Science Books Prize

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 14:07:28 PDT 2008

http://royalsociety.org/news.asp?id=7836

>From URL above:

Professor Jonathan Ashmore, Chair of the Judges said: "Lynas gives us a
compelling and gripping view of how climate change could affect our world.
It presents a series of scientifically plausible, worst case scenarios
without tipping into hysteria. Six degrees is not just a great read, written
in an original way, but also provides a good overview of the latest science
on this highly topical issue. This is a book that will stimulate debate and
that will, Lynas hopes, move us to action in the hope that this is a
disaster movie that never happens. Everyone should read this book."

The six books shortlisted were:

A Life Decoded, by J. Craig Venter (Penguin Allen Lane)

Coral: A pessimist in paradise by Steve Jones (Little, Brown)

Gut Feelings by Gerd Gigerenzer (Penguin - Allen Lane)

Six Degrees: Our future on a hotter planet by Mark Lynas (Fourth Estate)

The Sun Kings by Stuart Clark (Princeton University Press)

Why Beauty is Truth by Ian Stewart (Basic Books)

http://www.marklynas.org/2008/6/18/six-degrees-wins-presitigious-royal-society-prize
>From URL above:

Much to the surprise of its author, Six Degrees has scooped the prestigious
Royal Society Science Books Prize, triumphing over such strong contenders as
Steve Jones's 'Coral: A pessimist in paradise', and J. Craig Venter's 'A
Life Decoded'.