[Vision2020] Duncan's Sentencing Trial

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Aug 14 14:37:21 PDT 2008

>From Twitter at:

(Registration required)
http://twitter.com/SpokesmanReview?page=1

------------------------------

The next witness is Linda Barger, manager of the Coeur d'Alene Denny's
where Shasta was found with Duncan.

She's identifying the restaurant building through a picture and showing
where the entrances are, etc.

Barger was working the 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. shift the night Shasta was found.

She identified Duncan in court as the man she saw in the restaurant. She
said she knows his name because of the media.

"I looked around, at that time we try to figure out what's going to happen
before the bar rush hits because it can be a pretty rough crowd."

Barger said she looks around at that time of night to make sure kids are
seated away from where the drunks will be.

She looked at Shasta and thought she recognized her from the flyers.

She told her waitress, Amber, to make them dessert to hold them there
longer. The cooks were covering the back just in case Duncan fled.

"I told the girls I was going to take a chance," Barger said. She called
911 and said she was 99.9 percent sure it was Shasta.

When she was on the phone a waitress put a photo of Shasta in front of
her. "I said, 'it's her,'" Barger said. "I was excited."

Police arrived about five minutes later.

Duncan and Shasta got up and entered separate bathrooms.

Barger watched Duncan leave the bathroom and wait for Shasta. She could
tell he saw the police.

Duncan took the girl back to the table, and the officers entered the
restaurant.

An officer placed his arm on Duncan's shoulder and asking the girl her
name, Barger said.

"That's what caught our attention," Barger said, was how "she looked like
a child that had been playing in dirt all day."

[Cross-examination by Duncan]

"There's no tricks to my questions just so you know. Don't worry." Duncan
asked Barger.

He asked if it was normal for Barger to stand with other waitresses and
watch Duncan or other customers. She said yes, before bar rush.

He asked her to verify that the milkshake came in a metal container.

Barger said it did.

"I'm just clarifying this stuff for my own sake, for the record," Duncan
said.

Duncan asked if it was possible the officer removed him before they asked
Shasta's name.

Barger said she thinks Duncan was standing when that happened, but she was
sure he was there.

For those interested in following this trial on line, I encourage you to
register at twitter.com

If yoiu need any assitance give me a shout.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)