[Vision2020] Fw: UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO STUDENT FIRST RECIPIENT OF CRAPO MATH AND SCIENCE SCHOLARSHIP

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Aug 14 10:47:17 PDT 2008

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:59:16 -0700
Subject: UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO STUDENT FIRST RECIPIENT OF CRAPO MATH AND SCIENCE SCHOLARSHIP

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:     Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150

August 13, 2008
Lindsay Nothern (208) 344-1108

UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO STUDENT FIRST RECIPIENT OF CRAPO MATH AND SCIENCE
SCHOLARSHIP

Crapo, President Daley-Laursen, ICF make announcement in Moscow

Moscow - Calling it a positive sign of Idaho's commitment to global
competitiveness, Idaho Senator Mike Crapo today announced the first
recipient of the Mike Crapo Math and Science Scholarship Fund.  Crapo,
who has been recognized for leadership in education issues, announced
the scholarship effort in 2004 as a way to encourage Idaho's best
students to seek math, science and other technical education at Idaho's
universities.

Crapo was joined by University of Idaho President Steven Daley-Laursen
and Hilarie Engle of the Idaho Community Foundation (ICF) for the
announcement.  ICF, led by President and CEO Cathy Silak, administers
the scholarship fund, which was started with Crapo's honoraria donations
and has since grown through many contributors through the ICF.

Karen Christian, a Moscow resident planning to study pharmacology and
microbiology at the University of Idaho, was selected through a
competitive process at ICF to be the first recipient of the Crapo
scholarship.  She begins classes at the University of Idaho on August
25th.  Karen was joined by her parents, Ed and Kathy Christian, for the
announcement.

"It is critical for Idaho's, and America's, future to remain competitive
in the world economy, and the best way to do that is offer our best and
brightest students a top-notch technical education and the math and
science basics," Crapo said.  "Our future efforts in technology and
research rely heavily on the math and science education provided by
Idaho's universities, and I am proud to stand on the University of Idaho
campus today and see Karen Christian begin what I hope will be a
long-running scholarship program."

"We are delighted that Karen has chosen to pursue her passion for
science at the University of Idaho," said President Daley-Laursen.
"Senator Crapo's foresight and generosity and the Idaho Community
Foundation's excellent stewardship will foster many future Idaho
students' passion for science and mathematics.  Science, Technology,
Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education is critical to preparing
our young people for success in college and success in career, and we
are very grateful for the support of the Mike Crapo Math and Science
Scholarship Fund."

"We are so pleased to begin making awards from the fund," said CEO
Silak.  "Providing students with higher education aid is one of the best
possible ways to help students as individuals and the state as a whole,
and we appreciate the opportunity to work with Senator Crapo on this
worthy project."

"Being selected for the Mike Crapo Scholarship for Math and Science will
help me throughout my first year at the University of Idaho," said Karen
Christian.  "It is an honor to be chosen for this scholarship."

Students interested in applying for the scholarships should go to the
scholarship section of the ICF Web site at www.idcomfdn.org
<http://www.idcomfdn.org/> .

The Idaho Community Foundation is a statewide nonprofit organization
composed of more than 370 individual funds, pooled together for
efficient management.  Total assets are more than $70 million.  Since it
began making grants in 1991, ICF has made charitable distributions
totaling more than $37 million.  To learn more about the Foundation or
join as a member, visit ICF's Web site at

www.idcomfdn.org <http://www.idcomfdn.org/> ., or call 1-800-657-5357.

To directly link to this news release, please use the following address:

http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=301997

This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov
<http://crapo.senate.gov/> . Comments sent to this e-mail address will
not be responded to.