[Vision2020] Drug Thugs rampage again

Mike Finkbiner mike_l_f at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 07:49:20 PDT 2008

I can see where there might be very rare occasions where it would be helpful
for the police to be able to break in a door without giving the occupants
time to respond.  Unfortunately there have been quite a few problems with
the practice.  While the vast majority of police officers are decent folks,
it appears that there are a few of them who get a thrill out of
paramililitary style raids.  Many of the raids I have read about don't seem
to have any other justification for a heavy-handed approach.

Because of that I think we need to sharply curtail or eliminate the
practice.  Police officers should knock on the door, clearly identify
themselves and present a legal warrant before entering a house or apartment.

I have no idea if this map of botched paramilitary style raids produced by
the Cato Institute is accurate, but it is sobering.

http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

Does anyone know how often this practice is used locally?  The map only
shows one botched raid in North Idaho

If this incident had happened to Ordinary Joe Citizen, not the mayor and his
family, I doubt we'd even hear about it.

Ellen A. Roskovich

Mike Finkbiner
mike_l_f at hotmail.com

Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those
who create it.

Milton Friedman