[Vision2020] Gas prices...........

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 7 11:02:15 PDT 2008

On Thursday 07 August 2008 10:26, Tom Ivie wrote:
> Thank you Ken. That would explain why the local prices are not conforming
to the supply and demand curve.  We keep hearing that the state fuel
revenues are down because Idahoans are not buying as much gas. This
indicates a downturn in demand which, in most industries and businesses,
would cause the price to decrease.

> So why is it that as the prices were going up ours was less than the
national average, but when they are going down, we stay well above it? Is
that a consequence of the oligopoly?

There are lags on the upside because the channel wants to maintain an
orderly market, meaning both availability of product and manageable
volatility in the price levels. There are lags on the downside because as
long as the price can be maintained higher, margins are greater.

> Has anyone thought about e-mailing the state Attorney General about the
apparent gouging?

I suppose so, but then the thought of the Idaho AG taking on the gasoline
industry yields a short, contemplative pause, then a decision to move on.

Ken