[Vision2020] Ex-UI Researcher Faces Deportation

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 4 12:44:22 PDT 2008

I'm sorry for this family, the UI, the community and this country that this is happening.  However, the article and personnel at the Immigration Department are correct - it is up to the individual to make sure things are in order and done when they need to be.  And to set Dale "straight" - she WAS and obviously IS a very documented "alien", just one that is having trouble with the paperwork to stay in the country.  We can not be saying "yes, break the rules for this person" and "no, we will not break the rules for that one" and stay strong.  No ONE individual, not matter their work, is more important than another when it comes to immigration.  To me, it looks as if a LOT of people dropped the ball on this one, the UI being only one of them.  The main "blame" has got to lie in the lap of the researcher.  Taking time out of a busy schedule to get this done all one in week would have proven fruitful and a heck of a lot less stressful for everyone.

Lesson learned for everyone, I would hope.

J  :]