[Vision2020] WSU to Serve Hard Liquor

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Aug 2 08:13:52 PDT 2008

>From today's (August 2, 2008) Seattle Post-Intelligencer at:

http://tinyurl.com/5qk7s4

WSU to serve hard liquor
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PULLMAN – Washington State University, which once appeared on lists of top
party schools, is moving to allow hard liquor sales at its student union
building, golf course and before football games.

In March, school administrators changed a long-standing alcohol and drug
policy to allow on-campus hard liquor sales at some new restaurants on
campus. A section regulating alcohol sales on football game days was
altered to allow liquor to be sold in the Hollingberry Fieldhouse adjacent
to Martin Stadium, where only beer and wine sales previously were allowed.

WSU Vice President Mel Taylor said the move is not expected to produce
problems.

"We're not opening up another college bar," he said.

Taylor said a quiet, well-controlled bar in the Compton Union Building
would offer an alternative for students, staff and faculty who don't want
to go to a rowdy college bar.

The University of Washington allows hard liquor sales only at the UW Club,
which is primarily patronized by faculty and staff, spokesman Bob Roseth
said.

In Pullman, the owner of an upscale restaurant under construction in the
remodeled Compton Union Building has applied for a liquor license.

"We understand that we're under the electron microscope," said Greg
Markel, of Kennewick, who owns the Dupus Boomer's restaurant. "But we're
going to have zero tolerance. We're going to be very guarded about who we
serve and what we serve and watching for the signs of intoxication."

Dupus Boomer's has a liquor license application pending with the state
Liquor Control Board, as does Banyan's On The Ridge, a privately owned
steak house set to open at WSU's new Palouse Ridge golf course. The board
has received comments both for and against granting the licenses,
spokeswoman Susan Reams said.

Campus police Chief Bill Gardner said university officials are sending a
mixed message when they preach against drunken behavior, then opt to sell
booze.

"Anything we do that reinforces intoxication is probably a bad idea,"
Gardner said.

Gardner was a Pullman police officer 10 years ago, when a drunken riot on
campus garnered national attention and left the university with a public
relations nightmare.

Markel said Dupus Boomer's staff will be trained to be vigilant in how
alcohol is served. Ages will be verified electronically. Markel said he's
invested about $3 million in the project, and doesn't want to lose his
investment because of alcohol abuse.

Seeya at Farmers' Market and Palouse Pride, Moscow (and leave the hard
liquor at home).

Tom "If it wasn't for Budweiser, I probably wouldn't have breakfast" Hansen

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)