[Vision2020] Act Will Make College Costs More Manageable

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 1 14:51:50 PDT 2008

>From today's (August 1, 2008) Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

OUR VIEW: Act will make college costs more manageable
By Murf Raquet, for the editorial board
August 1, 2008

Legislation passed by the U.S. House on Thursday could benefit students
throughout the country by eliminating some of the burdensome debt they'll
have at graduation.

That's a move we can applaud, especially with more than 25,000 students
enrolled at Palouse universities.

The so-called Higher Education Opportunity Act is the first major overhaul
of federal education programs in 10 years, and it is long overdue.

The act strengthens recent legislation that cut interest rates on student
loans.

The act also makes Pell Grants available to low-income students year-round
instead of just the fall and spring semesters. This will allow students to
take better advantage of the summer session and finish their education a
little faster.

Students and their parents also will see more information of college fees
and textbook costs. Those expenses add up fast and it will be easier to
plan a budget if it is clear from the start the exact nature of the costs.

"To address soaring costs this legislation will address the transparency
and the accountability of the tuition pricing system, shining a bright
light on the prices set by colleges and universities," said Education
Committee Chairman George Miller, D-Calif.

We hope it does.

College students often take more than four years to complete their course
work for whatever reason. When they leave school many are saddled with
student loan payments that are the equivalent of paying a second rent.

With better information at their fingertips and grant money available when
they need it, a greater number of students potentially will be able to
contribute sooner. The purpose of a college education is to become a
productive member of society by contributing to a community's economy, not
underwriting the lending industry.

-----------

Ah, yes . . .

HR 4137 - College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2008 (To amend and
extend the Higher Education Act of 1965)

The final vote:

Ayes - 380
Nays - 49
No Vote - 5

Idaho's Rep. Bill Sali voted against this bill.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes.xpd?person=412201

I'm guessing that we can count on Murf Racquet to campaign against Bill
Sali.

Bill Sali loves Idaho.  It's the people of Idaho he does not care to
support.

Keep Idaho healthy, green, and affordable.  Vote "NO" on Sali in November.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)