[Vision2020] Saudi Capital Bans Pets Because of Flirting Factor

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 1 11:44:31 PDT 2008

>From today's (August 1, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Saudi capital bans pets because of flirting factor
Donna Abu-nasr, Associated Press
August 1, 2008

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – Walking a dog in the park is a sure babe magnet.
Saudi Arabia's Islamic religious police, in their zeal to keep the sexes
apart, want to make sure the technique doesn't catch on.

The solution: Ban selling dogs and cats as pets, as well as walking them
in public.

The prohibition went into effect Wednesday in the capital, Riyadh, and
authorities in the city say they will strictly enforce it – unlike
previous bans in the cities of Mecca and Jiddah, which have been ignored
and failed to stop pet sales.

Violators found outside with their pets will have their beloved poodles
and other furry companions confiscated by agents of the Commission for the
Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, the official name of the
religious police, tasked with enforcing Saudi Arabia's strict Islamic code.

The commission's general manager, Othman al-Othman, said the ban was
ordered because of what he called "the rising of phenomenon of men using
cats and dogs to make passes at women and pester families" as well
as "violating proper behavior in public squares and malls."

"If a man is caught with a pet, the pet will be immediately confiscated
and the man will be forced to sign a document pledging not to repeat the
act," al-Othman told the Al-Hayat newspaper. "If he does, he will be
referred to authorities." The ban does not address women.

The Saudi-owned Al-Hayat announced the ban in its Wednesday edition,
saying it was ordered by the acting governor of Riyadh province, Prince
Sattam, based on an edit from the Council of Senior Islamic Scholars and
several religious police reports of pet owners harassing women and
families.

So far, the prohibition did not appear to have any effect in Riyadh. It's
extremely rare, anyway, to see anyone in the capital walking a dog – much
less carrying a cat in public – despite the authorities' claims of
flirtatious young men luring girls with their pets in malls.

Salesmen at a couple of Riyadh pet stores said Thursday they did not
receive any orders from the commission banning the sale of pets. Cats and
dogs were still on display.

"I didn't hear of the ban," said Yasser al-Abdullah, a 28-year-old Saudi
nurse, who was at one pet store with his 3-month-old collie, Joe.

Al-Abdullah, who also owns an 8-month-old Labrador, said a couple of
Western friends had been told to get off the streets by the religious
police for walking their dogs.

"I won't allow the commission to take my dogs from me," he said.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow (and, please, bring your pet).

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)