[Vision2020] Tonight: Mysticism and the New Physics

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Apr 30 10:45:01 PDT 2008

Good Morning:

Tonight we will be talking about five types of mysticism and
contemporary (as opposed to classical) physics.  Best selling books
such as The Tao of Physics and Dancing Wu Li Masters suggest that
there are some essential links between mysticism and physics, but I
don't think so.

The reading is a www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/mysticism or you can
print out the attached Word file.

We meet at the Yellow House just west of the UU Church at 2nd and van
Buren at 7:30.

Nick Gier

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to
human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each
part by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole
and on the interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our
intellectual life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between
science, religion, and art. The whole is never equal simply to the
sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://www.home.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://www.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/ift.htm