[Vision2020] NOAA: Carbon Dioxide, Methane Rise Sharply in 2007

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:34:14 PDT 2008

Well Roger, according to Al Gore's Feature Presentation, temperature
increases first, followed by an increase in carbon dioxide.  Yes, you
have to look carefully at the graph ("conveniently" squished
alltogether as to be almost impossible to resolve anything, and
fleetingly shown at that) but temperature goes up, THEN CO2 follows.
Didn't really point that one out now, did he.  Imagine that.

It's really not that surprising since this is a representation of the
basic solubility of gases in liquid - warm liquids hold less gas than
cold liquids.  Open two cans of beer and put one in your car on a warm
day and one in your fridge.  Go back an hour later and see which has
gone flat.  And if you could measure the amount of CO2 in the car and
the fridge at the beginning and the end of this little experiment, you
would see more CO2 in your car than in the fridge.  Imagine that.

Even more insidious is the graphical representation of CO2 v temp in
Laurie David's book for children on global warming.  Their graph of
CO@ v temp was taken directly from the data in
the 2005 Science article by U. Siegenthaler in which they
(Siegenthaler et al.) show and state:

"The lags of CO2 with respect to the Antarctic temperature over
glacial terminations V to VII are 800, 1600, and 2800 years,
respectively, which are consistent with earlier observations during
the last four glacial cycles."   (Siegenthaler et al., 2005, Science,
vol. 310, 1313-1317)

David's book has the labels for CO2 and temperature deliberatly
reversed to show their contention that temperature increase follows
CO2 increase.  The unadulterated graph shows exactly the opposite.
Imagine that.

And in an unrelated question, why is it that local gas prices have
increased by 10 or more cents over the past week, yet this is still
the same gas pumped in their storage tanks well over a week ago??  Huh
. . . .

It's also interesting to note that over the past year the futures on
soybeans, corn, and rice have risen by 92%, 49% and 121% respectively,
yet I don't see the stockers at Safeway running out on a daily basis
slapping a price increase on  tofu, cornflakes and rice krispies.

 And there is no evidence of gouging?!?!?!

Best,

GS