[Vision2020] Junk Science On Climate Change

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 13:21:30 PDT 2008

Roget et. al.

Thanks for the info on the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine
petition, etc. on climate change.

Some information on who they really are, a small connected group who have a
slant on this issue that is rather transparent, and how they published this
"scientific" paper, is at the URL immediately below.  Down lower, there are
links to extensive discussions debunking the claims of the OISM on climate
change, and a link to discussion of the retraction of a paper authored by
Willie Soon, one of the authors of the OISM paper, resulting in the
resignation of research editors:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Oregon_Institute_of_Science_and_Medicine
-------------------
Quote from the sourcewatch URL above:

Robinson was not even a climate scientist. He was a biochemist with no
published research in the field of climatology, and his paper had never been
subjected to peer review by anyone with training in the field. In fact, the
paper had never been accepted for publication anywhere, let alone in the NAS
Proceedings. It was self-published by Robinson, who did the typesetting
himself on his own computer. (It was subsequently published as a "review" in
*Climate Research<http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Climate_Research&action=edit>
*, which contributed to an editorial scandal at that publication.)

None of the coauthors of "Environmental Effects of Atmospheric Carbon
Dioxide" had any more standing than Robinson himself as a climate change
researcher. They included Robinson's 22-year-old son, Zachary, along with
astrophysicists Sallie L.
Baliunas<http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Sallie_L._Baliunas>and
Willie
Soon <http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Willie_Soon>. Both Baliunas
and Soon worked with Frederick
Seitz<http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Frederick_Seitz>at
the George
C. Marshall Institute<http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=George_C._Marshall_Institute>,
a Washington, D.C., think tank where Seitz served as executive director.
Funded by a number of right-wing foundations, including
Scaife<http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Scaife_Foundations>and
Bradley<http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Lynde_and_Harry_Bradley_Foundation>,
the George C. Marshall Institute does not conduct any original research. It
is a conservative think tank that was initially founded during the years of
the Reagan administration to advocate funding for Reagan's Strategic Defense
Initiative<http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Strategic_Defense_Initiative>--the
"Star Wars" weapons program.
---------------
Consider promotion of creationism and criticisms of evolution as a
scientific theory, and petition signers to this approach.  Maybe evolution
is a false theory.  But among professional biologists who are the most
qualified to address this issue, there is an overwhelming consensus in favor
of evolution of life over billion of years.  There is also a current
consensus among professional climate scientists that human CO2 emissions are
altering the Earth's climate.

Petition to doubt evolution:

http://www.geocities.com/lclane2/petition.html

Info on the "science" behind the OISM climate change paper:

http://www.realclimate.org/wiki/index.php?title=OISM

More detailed dissection of the OISM pseudo-science effort on climate
change:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=480

http://rabett.blogspot.com/2007/10/before-there-was-e-there-was-jpands.html

One of the authors (Willie Soon) of the paper presented by OISM on climate
change published a paper that led to its retraction and the resignation of
research editors in the journal "Climate Research."  In short, this journal
was caught publishing junk science:

http://www.int-res.com/articles/misc/CREditorial.pdf

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett