[Vision2020] Inmate on Idaho Presidential Ballot

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Apr 16 05:49:45 PDT 2008

 From today's (April 16, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Inmate on Idaho presidential ballot

Democrats upset at 'mockery of the system'

BOISE - Three candidates will appear on the
Democratic ticket for president in Idaho's May
primary this year – the two front-runners, Sens.
Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and a federal prison inmate from Texas.

"We got conned," said a somewhat embarrassed
Idaho Secretary of State Ben Ysursa. Keith
Russell Judd, 49, who is serving time at the
Beaumont Federal Correctional Institution and
won't get out until 2013, qualified for the Idaho
ballot by sending in a notarized form and paying
the $1,000 fee. Thanks to a recent election law
change that removed a requirement for collecting
signatures, that was enough to put him on the ballot.

"We may rethink how we get on our presidential
ballot next time," Ysursa said. "We'll take a
look at it. We've got four years to think about it."

Judd declared as a write-in candidate for
president in Idaho in 2004, which simply requires
sending in a declaration. He didn't receive a vote.

Prison officials told the secretary of state's
office that Judd sent out about 14 checks to
states seeking to get on the presidential
election ballot, and that half of them had been
returned. While he's qualified as a write-in
candidate in Kentucky, California, Indiana and
Florida, it appears that Idaho is the only state
where Judd's name will appear on the ballot.

"It's a mockery of the system, and it's too bad
that this kind of thing can happen," said Chuck
Oxley, spokesman for the state Democratic Party.
He said the party is particularly miffed that
Judd was able to get on the ballot, while Ysursa
booted a Democratic state senate candidate in
District 15, Matt Yost, because the candidate's
voter registration was in a different district.

"We have this really good candidate who can't get
on the ballot and this yahoo prisoner in Texas
who coughs up a thousand bucks can," Oxley complained.

One big difference: Idaho's Democratic
presidential primary vote doesn't count. It's a
mere "beauty contest," because Democratic
presidential delegates were apportioned in the
state's party caucuses. There, Obama handily won.

"The good thing is the Democratic presidential
primary has absolutely no legal significance," Ysursa said.

States can't place any limits on who runs for
president beyond the requirements in the U.S.
Constitution, which calls for candidates to be
natural-born citizens at least 35 years old who
have resided in the United States for 14 years.

Ysursa said Judd paid his fee with a U.S.
Treasury check drawn on his prison account. Judd
listed a campaign office phone number both in his
declaration of candidacy and in his profile on
Project VoteSmart, but the number is the city
desk news tips line at the Beaumont Enterprise
newspaper. Managing Editor Kris Worrell said,
"Well, obviously it's not his number."

He also listed a number for a coordinator in
Ohio, which proved to be an IRS customer service line.

The Beaumont Enterprise reported in November that
Judd, a frequent writer of letters to the
newspaper, landed in prison after he was
convicted of making threats on the University of
New Mexico campus in 1999. He told the paper that
he grew up in Albuquerque, N.M., where his father
was an atomic scientist at the Los Alamos
National Laboratory and his mother taught high
school English. A musician and former band
member, he teaches piano to other inmates at the low-security federal prison.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21, 2007)