[Vision2020] Fw: OWYHEE INITIATIVE HEARING SET FOR APRIL 22

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Apr 15 10:49:29 PDT 2008

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:36:56 -0700
Subject: OWYHEE INITIATIVE HEARING SET FOR APRIL 22

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:    Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150

April 11, 2008
Lindsay Nothern (208) 344-1108

OWYHEE INITIATIVE HEARING SET FOR APRIL 22

Crapo legislation protects lands, ranchers in Owyhee County

Washington, DC - Idaho Senator Mike Crapo announced that his legislation
to protect lands, rivers and ranchers, and allow for local land
management decisions in Owyhee County will receive a hearing on April 22
before the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee's Subcommittee
on Public Lands and Forests.  The Owyhee Initiative has been a nearly
eight-year process, bringing together interests across the public lands
spectrum to preserve wild lands in Idaho while guaranteeing economic
interests and Western lifestyles.

Crapo introduced a new Owyhee Initiative bill, S. 2833, the Owyhee
Public Lands Management Act, this week in the U.S. Senate.  The hearing
on April 22 will be followed by a markup of the legislation, and changes
to it are possible throughout the process.

"The actions we are able to announce today bring us the best opportunity
to pass the Owyhee Initiative in Congress this year and retain an effort
rich with the collaboration and consensus tone we set back in 2001,"
Crapo said.  "All of us understand that we must provide the funding for
all aspects of the Initiative.  We want to assure all of our
collaborators of our commitment to secure the necessary funding."

Owyhee Initiative Work Group Chairmen Fred Grant and Craig Gehrke joined
Crapo for the announcement.  Grant, who advises the Owyhee County
Commissioners and local ranchers, was in Washington, D.C. for the
announcement.  "We do have a bill introduced, one I think has a real
possibility of succeeding," Grant said.

Gehrke, who heads the Idaho Wilderness Society, said, "There remains
work yet to be done to get the funding we need to implement the
agreement, but all of the work group remains committed to obtain the
funding to make the Initiative a reality."

If approved, Crapo's legislation would preserve 517,000 acres as
wilderness in Owyhee County and release 200,000 of wilderness study
areas to full multiple use.  Parts of rivers in the Owyhees will receive
federal protection while retaining public access.

Crapo praised the efforts of the work group as well as Idaho Senator
Larry Craig for his support throughout the process.  He noted that staff
members for both the majority and minority leadership on the Senate
Energy and Natural Resources Committee's Subcommittee on Public Lands
and Forests have visited Idaho to tour the Owyhees and meet with local
residents.  Crapo also mentioned that support for the collaborative
process used in developing the Owyhee legislation remains a strong point
in its support in Congress.

This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov
<http://crapo.senate.gov/> . Comments sent to this e-mail address will
not be responded to.