[Vision2020] Earth's Energy Out of Balance: NASA at Geophysical Union 2007

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 16:15:00 PDT 2008

Paul et. al.

Though I could not yet locate the entire presentation of the scientists at
the Dec. 2007 American Geophysical Union on the subject of "Earth's Tipping
Points," I did find this info on the Earth's energy radiation as viewed from
space put into the context of an incoming/outgoing energy imbalance,
so perhaps the very measurments you were inquiring about exist:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/tipping_points_hiresmulti.html
-------------
However, you offer no references to refute the reliability of NOAA average
annual global temperature data as measured on Earth's surface (land and
ocean), given NOAA's published data on this subject.  If you offered a
credible reference published in a well respected peer reviewed scientific
journal enforcing your doubts, this would be helpful.

Skepticism is a necessary antidote to authoritarianism, and resulting
mindless conformism, involving government, religion and science.  But when
the scientific evidence is compelling that human behavior impacting climate
is placing the future livability of the Earth in danger, contrarian
skepticism can be an impediment to motivating the personal, political,
technological and economic changes needed to address the climate crisis.
And there is an alarming amount of rather poorly researched and reasoned
contrarian skepticism, regarding anthropogenic climate change, being
presented to the public, that is impeding efforts to shift our economy away
from dominant dependence on CO2 emitting fossil fuels.

People can vote with their wallets as well as in the voting booth to
influence action to address climate change; but when the public thinks human
impacts on climate are a highly doubtful propostion, they have less reason
to take the issue seriously.

Even without CO2 pollution causing potentially dangerous climate change (and
even without CO2 induced atmospheric warming, human CO2 emissions are
acidifying the oceans, a serious environmental problem), fossil fuel
depletion and growing global energy demands alone are enough reason to
immediately take radical measures to shift to an alternative energy economy,
to ensure a sustainable economic future and as a national security issue.

Hopefully, the next president and US Congress can take substantive action
to more quickly facilitate the inevitable transition to the new alternative
energy economy.  The energy corporations (even the state controlled oil in
Saudi Arabia, Venezuela et. al.) dominating oil, coal and natural gas
resources and energy delivery have too much money to make, in the short
term, off the existing energy extraction and delivery system, to find an
economic motivation to quickly transition to an alternative energy economy,
given the current USA taxation and government subsidy system, with quarterly
profits dominating stock holder meetings.  We need to start paying now for
the future impacts of carbon emissions, which will promote the roll out of
low carbon emission energy technologies in the marketplace.

It has occured to me that even if the science indicating anthropogenic
climate change is a serious problem eventually is shown to be fundamentally
flawed, that if action to address this problem results in a quicker
transition away from fossil fuels, the scientists warning of a "climate
crisis" will still have done some good, by providing some of the motivation
to implement an alternative energy economy, before fossil fuel depletion
induces an economic crisis of major proportions.

Ted Moffett