[Vision2020] Open source and related concepts

Dave tiedye at turbonet.com
Tue Apr 8 10:04:11 PDT 2008

Great post Paul!   I like how you explain true anarchy, even among
self-proclaimed anarchists this concept is sometimes lost.

Regarding your related topic, applying open source to politics, my
optimist says "COOL!" My pessimist says that the powers that be will
never let this have any real power.

Regarding open source software I am really frustrated.  I hang out with
a bunch of activists, most of whom would claim to be anarchists.  We
went to Seattle to shutdown the WTO.  We automatically boycott any
corporation or organization with a bad human rights record.  We
boycotted the Kirk long before there was any formal list because we
don't believe that people should own people and that anyone who supports
someone who's weird interpretation of a bad history book says that
slavery is part of "God's Law" and intends to take over this town and
set up "Gods Law", should not be supported.

Yet they all use Windows.  I have not been able to get one activist in
this town to try out the open source, and much better, alternatives.
They prefer to use a computer full of corporate and other spys, that
can't do much unless you buy more software for it.  I volunteer at a
free speech radio station, yet I can't convince anyone else that open
source is consistent with our mission statement and that Microsuck is not.

I have installed Ubuntu on several very poor peoples' chunky and bug
ridden old Windows machines and they are very happy to have working
computers.  One of them, a HS dropout with almost no computer
experience, installed it all herself with just a couple of phone calls
for help.

I'm what you would call a power user on computers, without open source
software it would cost me about $5000 to make a Windows machine
functional to my needs (not counting games).  I used to have my machine
full of illegal cracked software and it made me vary paranoid.  I now
have a completely legal almost fully open source machine that can do
anything I want.

You only scratched the surface with your software list, but I expect
that was intentional as you mentioned most packages that a general user
would use.  But I feel I should also mention Gnucash which is better
then Quickbooks and The Gimp which is is better then Photoshop.  Oh
yeah, I also just tried out the scanning tool XSane, it's much better
than any TWAIN tool I've ever used (except that support for many old
scanners isn't (yet) written).

Dave

P.S. Does my sig file make sense now?

--
Windows, OSX, or Linux is the same choice as:
McDonalds, Burger King, or a (real) Co-Op.