[Vision2020] Open source and related concepts

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 04:10:14 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 01:31, Ted Moffett wrote:
<snip>
> It is well known that porno is one of the dominant activities on the
> Internet.  Now there's egalitarian political liberation for you!

Blue-pencil rewrites of Internet history are better relegated to alternate
worlds sites and fantasy fan-fiction devotees. Actually, financial profits
from widespread distribution of multiple graphics formats motivated and
enabled the physical build-out of earlier versions of Internet structure.
The engineers who designed and built expansions of the early core of the
Internet, and the early customers of those businesses that financed large
portions of that early expansion, likely were not, and may still not be,
individuals with passionate interests in government, politics, economics,
justice, and various other social science concerns.

> What
> a diversion from the responsible investigations that should have concerned
> every citizen about Iraq WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda, during the 2002 run up
> to this disastrous and cruel war!

Perhaps. Even though many of us assume the well-developed existence of the
Internet and the World Wide Web, and expect almost everyone has access and
some degree of net and web literacy and ability, the facts are that a lot
of people are still relative newcomers and novices to using available web
resources. Some of those folks' Internet insecurity (in more than one
sense) mitigates against their ready participation in substantive Internet
activities. And, though the situation is changing, it's still true that Web
users are generally younger, and generally younger often means not yet as
interested in public matters as older folks who participate in the polity.

On the other hand, think about this -- it's only a couple of years before a
generation that has known only Bill Clinton and the junior Bush as
President will start college. They may be digitally dexterous, but have
they any civics cluefullness? How will the generation that grew up with
myspace, facebook, and youtube understand political participation? Perhaps
this question is being answered in our contemporary headlines.

Ken

Ken