[Vision2020] George the Shiftless One

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 7 23:34:42 PDT 2008

"A moment I've been dreading. George[Bush, the Elder] brought his n'er-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida; the one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work." From the REAGAN DIARIES------entry dated May 17, 1986.

Note:  That's a real good joke proposing that one of the most intellectual of journals--The New Republic-- would hire George the Shiftless.  I suppose he could have swept the offices and emptied the waste paper baskets.  But no, he became our president!