[Vision2020] End of Legislative Session Summary from Rep. Trail

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 12:38:26 PDT 2008

I'm going to have to agree with Donovan on this one.  I am the eldest
of nine children, just old enough to have been growing up before the
advent of serious institutionalized childcare, and all of the
nanny-state regulations, and we all ended up just fine.  Childrearing
really isn't that difficult.  I raised two healthy, happy daughters
without any lessons or overt meddling by the state, and so have
millions of other parents.  When you can show me statistically that
children raised by highly-regulated daycares produce children that are
somehow "better" than those raised by the little old lady down the
street who has been doing it for twenty years in er home, I'll look at
the evidence.

The anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that daycare centers are
honeypots for all sorts of undesirables.  As Donovan wrote, if ain't
broke, don't fix it.  I trust my children to the sincere amateurs just
as much as I do to the professional, sometimes more.   The majority of
parenting in human history has been done by amateurs, and I hope that
it stays that way.