[Vision2020] Australian Government: Persistent Southern Heat Wave

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 15:00:42 PDT 2008

How do they come up with an average global temperature, anyway?  Do they
just sum up all the readings of all the measurements and average them?
Do they take into account the relative areas involved?  How do they get
so precise that they can say whether or not the average global
temperature has risen by as little as half a degree?

In my ignorance, I would expect that if you had a computer reading all
the networked weather stations and averaging on the fly that the values
would fluctuate greatly.  Doesn't each thermometer vary on a
minute-to-minute basis?  If you doubled the number of measuring sites
that currently exists, I imagine the numbers would be different,
especially if you placed more of them on the oceans.

What are we measuring, exactly, anyway?  Air temperature?  Wouldn't it
be more scientific to measure ground temperature (i.e. the actual
temperature of the earth)?  What about water temperature in the oceans?

Shouldn't they be trying to get to some kind of measurement of the
actual energy absorbed by the Earth as a system?  It seems like they
should have spacecraft measuring the amount of infrared rays escaping
from the Earth, and comparing that to what is going in, preferably from
far enough away from the Earth to get a good single reading.

Measuring the progress of global warming using measurements from weather
stations seems silly because of the sheer amount of data coming in.  You
get lost in all the numbers.  Readings like that would go a long way
towards answering the skeptics (which I'm sure you're lumping me in with).

Paul