[Vision2020] Food/gas prices

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 2 03:32:51 PDT 2008

Donovan,

This is my last post on this subject.

All I want to point out is that the points I've been making are just a logical extension of the views you've expressed in your first paragraph. You wouldn't purchase products that are the result of slave labor -- even if it saved you money -- because it would be wrong to do so. You would be saving money at the expense of the human rights violations of others. Nor would you be easily convinced that somehow by purchasing those products you'd be making the slaves lives better. "If we buy their products, the slaves will have better food and better housing!" Nor would an argument from the 1600s to the effect that "Everyone owns a slave" or "Everyone buys products that are the result of slave labor; it is not possible to do otherwise!" sound convincing to you now, given what you know.

The fact is that these are bad arguments -- appeals to majority opinion, appeals to common practice -- as one can easily see once we put them in the context of slavery. The points that I've been making about Walmart are just an extension of your views on slavery. Period.

I'm not suggesting that you're an evil person. Nor am I saying that I'm somehow better than you about this sort of thing. I've admitted that I've shopped at Walmart and, as you point out, it is difficult in today's society to take the high road and not buy anything made in China. But that difficulty does not make it right, it just makes it convenient. We can and should do better.

--
Joe Campbell

---- Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
Joe,

  First off, I would never intentionally buy something from people that were chained and forced to work against their own will, iow, slavery. I would furthermore, expect my elected leaders not to allow such products to be imported. But I reject your implied suggestion that just because the working conditions are not equal or as well developed as the in the United States, doesn't mean we should not purchase their goods and services.

  Second, for me, I buy products from China, Indonesia, and other third world countries for the same reason that you buy your gasoline from terrorists and wife beaters, and the same reason people against illegal immigration eat produce picked by illegal immigrants. There really isn't a choice. I simple do not have the time or the money to research and buy products that are made or produced in a way consistent with my values.

  I buy products from Wal-Mart because that is what I can afford. I cannot afford the Bon. Further, I think the Bon, ShopKo, and every major retailer buys products from China or another third world country in the same working conditions.

  Roger's point seems pretty clear and correct to me. I think that taking money away from the working poor's employers will prevent them from being able to make the improvements in the poor worker's environment. Air conditions, safety equipment, better training, shorter hours, better water quality, heating, benefits, all cost money, and an employer cannot provide it if he/she has no sales/income.

  An employer has to make enough money in order to change the worker's conditions. That is just plain obvious. To say they should FIRST improve the conditions, then make the money, doesn't work, because the employer doesn't have the money to do it.

  Not purchasing goods and services from China because of current working conditions, is like not supporting funding for the Moscow School District until they increase salaries, benefits, and working conditions for teachers. It is obvious, they cannot until they actually get more funding to do so.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Joe Campbell <joekc at adelphia.net> wrote:
  Donovan (and Roger),

The point, Donovan, is that your position -- which is also Roger's position -- provides you with no basis that would prevent you from buying cheap products made by slave labor. Consider, for instance, Roger's comment from yesterday:

"I don't know if trade with China will improve their human rights record or not, But a boycott of their products for sure wont. The main thing we need to ensure is that products from China are safe. We should also pressure them to improve human rights at the same time."

Why wouldn't this argument work just as well to justify trading with a country whose products were the result of slave labor? What is the substantive difference between this and trading with China? I recognize that there is a difference in degree but what I don't see is how you could use that as a basis to prevent you from buying products that were made by slaves if they were cheaper than the ones sold at Walmart. Again if there is a difference, a substantive reason you'd have for not buying products made by slaves that would still allow you to buy products from China, tell me what it is.

And just for the record, I'm merely asking questions and voicing my opinion. I'm not sure how that can be turned into being against freedom of speech and freedom of religion and being in favor of poverty. I was poor, I am religious, and I speak whenever I can, so your comments have no basis in the facts.

This is just another instance of the strawman fallacy -- turning my position into some extreme view that is much easier to defeat. I'd be interested in hearing some responses to the things that I've actually said rather than hearing what you think about your strawman's views. Start by telling me what would or could prevent you from buying products made by slave labor.

Best, Joe

---- Donovan Arnold wrote:

=============
Joe,

What country has slaves that we are buying products from? Why are you opposed to freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and in favor of poverty?

Best Regards,

Donovan Arnold

Joe Campbell wrote:
Donovan,

And I'm sorry for continuing to write to you as if you were actually reading my words and we were having a conversation of sorts. And I'm sorry that you think that people with a moral conscience are members of the far left. But I'm glad that you now recognize that slavery is wrong. Not that it matters much since your position commits you to the view that we should also purchase items that are made by slaves since this will miraculously improve their lot!

--
Joe Campbell

---- Donovan Arnold wrote:

=============
Joe,

I am sorry you are not reading my words and are instead trying to read into them. One thing that should be apparent to most people on here, I don't need to infer or reflect anything in what I say, I say what I mean, and mean what I say, regardless of its political/social implications.

Right and Left political affiliations are subjective. I consider you, for Idaho, very far to the left. Anyone that attacks Wal-Mart from a moral standpoint is generally to the left. As 87% of the American Population bought something from Wal-Mart in the previous year. Undoubtedly, some of the 13% that didn't, didn't for reasons other than moral objections, such as living some place where there isn't a Wal-Mart, or making so much money Wal-Mart quality goods are below their standards, or they don't have any money.

I believe, based on the evidence presented to me, that shopping at Wal-Mart doesn't worsen human conditions in China. You would think if it did, people in China would not be clamoring to work at the factories that contract with Wal-Mart.

The United States did not always have great working conditions, like you seem to think they do. They started with slavery and have slowly worked improved conditions as our economic, social, and political evolution allowed us. It costs money and resources to improve working conditions. The only way to do that is to purchase more from the companies so that they have that amount money.

You offer criticism, but you offer no workable solutions for China. So, to me it is ignorant babble saying not to buy from Wal-Mart.

People don't buy from Wal-Mart to improve or torture people in China, they buy from Wal-Mart to improve the conditions of their own household.

Best Regards,

Donovan

Joe Campbell wrote:
Donovan,

I drew the same conclusions as Sunil. There is nothing about the quoted passage below that indicates the view you now claim to have expressed.

For the record, in general I favor neither boycotts nor embargoes. But then again, I'm not a member of the far left! I favor putting pressure on Walmart and Walmart shoppers, making them realize that low cost at the expense of human rights is not a good thing. This is just offering some critical comments about a particular business practice -- using cheap labor from countries that don't respect human rights. It is not a boycott, not an embargo, and not the endorsement of either.

And for those like you and Roger who keep suggesting that somehow China is going to improve their human rights record just because folks like Walmart continue to buy from them, my question is: Why on earth should I believe that? What evidence is there to suggest that this is true?

Best, Joe

---- Donovan Arnold wrote:

=============
Ted,

I never made the claim that the Cuban embargo was supported by leftists! Sunil twisted my words. I said embargoes don't work, and was using Cuba and Iraq as an example of past embargoes failing to accomplish their intended goal.

"What many far leftists don't understand is that embargoes didn't help the people in Cuba, or in Iraq, nor will they help the people of China."

My claim was that far-lefts want to boycott China. Which they do. That is why a significant group of far-leftists advocate not buying from China or Wal-Mart.

Embargoes don't work, they don't hurt the people you intend them to hurt. Regardless of which political affiliation the people are that are implementing it.

Best Regards,

Donovan

Ted Moffett wrote:

Sunil et. al.

Political stereotyping is out of control, distorts our perceptions of political and economic reality, and will continue to do so, as certain as death and taxes. Thus it is refreshing to read that you correct the claim that the embargo on Cuba is supported by "far leftists."

Of course we can look to buy goods made elsewhere than China. How about "Made In USA?"

Ted Moffett

On 3/27/08, Sunil Ramalingam wrote: It's not 'far-leftists' supporting the embargo on Cuba. I certainly preferred the embargo on Iraq to war, since those appeared to be the only alternatives. I don't think we should embargo China either, though we can certainly look to buy goods made elsewhere should we choose.

Sunil