[Vision2020] Incumbent City Council Members Stacking theElection

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Fri Sep 28 15:35:05 PDT 2007

Dear Mike and Visionaries,

Since Mike singled me out, I think it would be helpful to be accurate. I abstained from confirming Tom LaMar at the June council meeting..

With the appointment process, I have held a consistent position, which I stated publicly at council meetings and to the press, from the announced departure of Bob Stout and the eventual decision to appoint a replacement for John Dickinson following the sad discovery of his remains in August.

I stated publicly in June, I made clear to Mayor Chaney, and I made clear to Tom LaMar after Nancy nominated him for the position, that I felt that the July to November period at the end of an election cycle, when the seat should be filled by the voters, ought to be filled by someone who was not intending to run for the Council. I felt that the appointment gave that person an unfair advantage in the election over other non-incumbent candidates. Had this appointment been made at the beginning of the election cycle, shortly after the 2005 election, selecting the fourth highest votegetter would be the reasonable and honorable thing to do. Indeed, I was the recipient of Don Mackin's promise to do just that when he was elected in 1977 as Mayor and resigned his council seat!

The further the time is from the original election and the closer to the replacement election, the more one could call into question whether or not the same sentiments still prevailed in the electorate. In any event, I was not given that option when Tom LaMar was appointed because the Mayor did not pick the fourth highest votegetter. Had there been genuine concern to appoint the fourth highest votegetter, July was the obvious time to adopt that process and then, perhaps, given that decision, the fifth highest votegetter from 2005 would have been the nominee in September.

In either case, because the appointment would be within three to five months of the election, I felt that the selection should not give an advantage or disadvantage to the candidates who decided to run for a council position. By the way, while I did not vote to confirm Tom Lamar, I stated that I thought he would be a fine addition to the council or something like that. The Daily News got it right if you decide to do research.

I hope Mike, Donovan and other readers of this space will review all the candidates and their track record over the many issues the Council must deal with: from budgets to growth to Parks, to the Comprehensive Plan revision to storm water issues to water quality and quantity to neighborhood preservation to economic development to the URA to the arts to expansion of the Paradise Path to diversity to Farmers Market, historic preservation, bike paths and trails, improved street standards, water conservation, expansion of the wastewater treatment plant, support for the City's livable wage and good benefits for city employees, expansion of the Dog Park, more pocket parks, progressive development policies, sustainable resource programs, community conversations and citizen participation, support for our 4th of July celebration, Welcome Home Vandals reception, follow up on the Ice Rink Task Force to keep the rink in Moscow, sensible transportation options for people and vehicles, coordinated right-sized economic development for Moscow and the Palouse; Affordable housing; Partnership Park Development, Livable, sustainable development goals for all city policies and programs; improved grass roots citizen participation… and there are more I just haven't had a chance to highlight here!

I'd appreciate your vote to continue working on these important concerns.

All the best,

Linda Pall
Moscow City Council