[Vision2020] Senator Larry Craig Challenges Guilty Plea

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 19:21:26 PDT 2007

I have a question here. Was the cop sitting on the toilet for hours with his pants up or down?

  Think about the oddity of either situation for that moment.

Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Ted,

So perhaps Craig could have gotten a dismissal, but it would have been a
year later, assuming good conduct. It seems he wanted to get the case over
and avoid publicity, as you mentioned in your post yesterday; going with a
deferred prosecution would have kept the case alive another year. Of course
his method of avoiding publicity also failed.

You talk about the conduct in the charge to which he pled, and the
possibility that the law itself may be unconstitutional. That may well be
so. But is that true of the charge that was dismissed? If he gets his
charge withdrawn, the best case scenario for Craig is that he now gets the
deferred prosecution. With all the publicity, that's unlikely. Meanwhile
his party will be backing up the bus that ran over him to take another shot
at it, or looking for a wooden stake.

The worst case scenario is that he gets convicted at trial, after detailed
testimony about him staring at the cop in the cubicle for an extended amount
of time. For his party, that's the worst case scenario, as it keeps him in
the headlines into 2008, as it's unlikely his trial will be this year. I
don't think they'll allow that.

Sunil

>From: "Ted Moffett"
>To: "Sunil Ramalingam"
>CC: vision2020 at moscow.com
>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Senator Larry Craig Challenges Guilty Plea
>Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:09:47 -0700
>
>Sunil et. al.
>
>I made my statement about the charges against Craig being dropped if he had
>contested them based on statements from lawyers commenting on this case.
>Below read quote from one of them:
>
>http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-te.craig30aug30,0,6053476.story
>
>Several lawyers in Minnesota said Craig could have avoided the
>embarrassment
>of having to admit committing a crime if he had hired a lawyer in the first
>place. Minnesota, like many states, has special programs that allow
>first-time offenders to have charges against them dropped after a year if
>they do not engage in any further misconduct.
>
>"Very likely, a lawyer would have gotten one of those dispositions ... and
>Craig could have said, 'I never admitted I did anything wrong,' " said
>Stephen Simon, a professor at the University of Minnesota law school.
>
>-----
>
>And for those who really want to explore the case Craig's attorney's are
>making in his defense, here's a pdf link to the legal eagles arguments:
>
>http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/09/10/craig.motion.pdf

>Ted Moffett

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com