[Vision2020] Federal Reserve Head Greenspan: Iraq Invasion ForOil

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:40:22 PDT 2007

Sunil - I could probably buy the negative oil flow theory if it we not for
the fact that Iraqi oil has, for the past dozen years, contributed less than
10% of the total OPEC output.  Long before the US invasion, Iraq had been
struggling without success to increase production above 2 million barrels
per day, largely due to technical problems in pipelines, and other
petroleum-based infrastructure, problems in accessing Iraqi oil fields, and
the continued refusal of the United Nations to provide Iraq with equipment
it has requested.  So despite the "threat" of increased production Iraqi
officials continue to proclaim, the ability is just not there.

It's also hard to buy into this theory considering the US blessings on Saudi
Arabia's projected increase of over 3 million barrels per day by 2010.
This, coupled with the fact that a majority of this "new" oil will be making
its way to the rapidly growing Asian markets, and that OPEC itself
recognizes that decreased production is a bad thing from a global economic
perspective, suggests to me that the Iraqi conflict is not about oil in any
flavor.

GS