[Vision2020] Fw: CRAPO: CRAIG'S LENGTHY SERVICE, CONSISTENT ADVOCACY BENEFITED IDAHOANS

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Sep 4 16:02:01 PDT 2007

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 09:44:33 -0700
Subject: CRAPO:  CRAIG'S LENGTHY SERVICE, CONSISTENT ADVOCACY BENEFITED IDAHOANS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:     Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150

September 1, 2007
Lindsay Nothern (208) 334-1776

** SATELLITE FEED AVAILABLE **

CRAPO:  CRAIG'S LENGTHY SERVICE, CONSISTENT ADVOCACY BENEFITED IDAHOANS

Says resignation demonstrates courage and strength in tough decision

Washington, DC - Idaho Senator Mike Crapo released the following
statement regarding the resignation of Idaho senior Senator Larry Craig:

"For more than two decades, Larry Craig has consistently put Idaho first
in his public service career.  Today, he did so again in announcing his
decision to resign his position as U.S. Senator from Idaho.

"As I have said over the last week, I will accept any decision that my
friend Senator Craig makes regarding the unfortunate circumstances he
presently faces.  As such, I am comfortable that he has determined that
this is the best course of action he can take for his wife and family,
his state and his nation.  He has demonstrated his courage and strength
in making this tough decision.

"During his long and distinguished tenure in Congress, he has solidly
championed common-sense solutions and brought a strong tenacity to
important issues to our state and our nation.  His certainty and
consistency have provided a base for many public policy debates on a
wide range of issues, including agriculture, fiscal responsibility,
immigration, community and economic development, transportation and
natural resources.  He was advocating for a Balanced Budget Amendment
long before most Members of Congress would even recognize the
out-of-control spending by the federal government.  He has been a strong
voice for improving our nation's energy security, most particularly
nuclear energy.  The efforts he has undertaken over the years regarding
agriculture and natural resources have helped build strong rural
economies in Idaho and across the country.  His conservative voice has
spoken out in favor of legislation and efforts to limit the federal
government and to ensure that Idahoans and every American have liberty,
opportunity and security.  In addition, he has provided consistent
advocacy for Idahoans who have come to him for help with problems they
are experiencing with federal agencies.  Early in his career, he laid
out a mission and philosophy that put Idahoans first, and he has lived
up to that creed throughout his public service.

"Today is a sad day for me as I recognize that Senator Craig has made
clear his intentions to leave the U.S. Senate.  He has been my colleague
for many years, and I have enjoyed working with Larry, but, more
importantly, he has been my friend.  It is my hope that as history
judges Senator Craig, that his successes, accomplishments and strong
leadership for Idaho in Congress are taken in totality, and that those
he served so admirably in Congress for five terms in the U.S. House of
Representatives and three terms in the U.S. Senate will recall the full
measure of the man."

# # #

FOR INTERESTED MEDIA:

To directly link to this news release, please use the following address:
http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=281499.

A videotaped statement from Crapo is available via satellite at the
following time and coordinates:

            12:00-12:05 p.m. Mountain/11:00-11:05 a.m. Pacific

            AMC 1

            Transponder 23 Horizontal

            Downlink 4160

            Audio:  C-Band analog

A radio actuality is available by calling 1 (800) 545-1267.  Press 327
at any time during or after the greeting and instructions.  You can also
access the actuality through the Internet on Crapo's website in the
Multimedia section, http://crapo.senate.gov/media/audio_2007.cfm, or at
http://src.senate.gov/radio/.

This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov
<http://crapo.senate.gov/> . Comments sent to this e-mail address will
not be responded to

Learn more about the issues before Congress at http://crapo.senate.gov