[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Wed Oct 31 15:30:46 PDT 2007

Andreas,

Yes, the fixing of the Yuan/Dollar exchange rate does create price
differentials that impact selected market sectors (consumer electronics, etc.)

But it is difficult to regulate consumer consumption - remember all
the problems with food stamps - some would sell the stamps and use
the cash to buy booze and cigarettes.

Before I bought my first home, I had to scrimpt and save and deny
myself other consumption goods in order to be able to afford my
home.  But I did it.  That was more than 30 years ago.

Despite low interest rates and other means to help folks get into a
home (low income and subsidized housing) affordable housing remains a problem.

I haven't seen recent numbers on the cost of food, but aren't we
still producing most of the food we consume in the US.  That would
explain the high food cost.  To our rescue the large retail chains
have helped to keep prices relatively low or at least dampen the
effect of increasing food cost.

Housing is easy to explain - significant increases in wood products,
copper and other building materials prices are still feeling the
demand pressure from Katrina and other natural disasters.

But again, it may be as simple as folks just not wanting to buy a
home, rather some opt for rentals.  That is certainly the case for my
daughter, age 24 - college grad, good job, no car, lives in a shared
commons facility.  She doesn't want the responsibility of a house.

And locally, many of us are having some significant issues with the
cost of health care and the reneging of the UI on its health benefit
insurance promises to its employees.

But you raise good points.  Let me reflect a bit on your comments -
I'll see what I can learn from reviewing some data and recent research results.

I appreciate the civil tone of your post. Thanks.