[Vision2020] fires, environmetalists, etc

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Wed Oct 31 13:15:26 PDT 2007

This is in response to several post that have been made over the last week. I agree with much of what Sunil had to say except that I don,t thing I have made any blanket statements and that environmentalist have not had anything to do with the fires in southern california. Glenn is correct in his statement that environmentalist have, through the courts prevented people from clearing brush from their own land in orde to protect endangered species. This is not a blanket indictment of all environmentalist or all forest service personnel. The forest service's policy has been quite varied and they have to deal with governmental edits. Environmentalists come in all shades. The Earth LIberation Front and Animal Liberation Front are on the lunatic fringe and are criminal in their actions (spiking trees and the release of lab animals). Groups such as the Sierria Club are somewhat saner but are still unrealistic. I used to support the Audubon Society and The National Wildlife Federatio!
 n until
they became blatantly anti-livestock. I still support the Nature Conservancy. They are an organization that does a lot of good.The major beef I have with them is that they frequently turn over some of their property to various government agencies. I think that they should keep it.
I support the policy of farmers and ranchers providing wildlife habitat on their places. On our two acres at Genesee we planted  a small area to trees and other shrubbery in the seventies.  This provides habitat for pheasants, quail and other small birds( also friendly squirrels)
The Owyhee Initiative sponsored by Senator Crapo is an example of all sides coming together in support of a workable solution where everybody wins. This involves the area where I was raised. It  protects the livelihood of ranchers, the Air Force bombing range, Indians and the scenic beauty of all three branches of the Owyee River. Even the Sierria Club supports it.
For those of you who are interested in Idaho history I would recommend the books written by Mike Handley. He is a Jordan Valley Rancher an a friend of mine.  He also has a degree in Anthropology. Two of his books are "Owyhee Trails, The Wests Forgotten Corner and Sagebrush and Axle Grease. I am mentioned in Owyhee Trails. He won a national historical award for this book.

Roger