[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

g. crabtree jampot at roadrunner.com
Tue Oct 30 11:56:20 PDT 2007

The problem with Ms. Sullivan's letter is its backhanded attempt to give
credit to the incumbent candidate's for the emergence of all these "new
businesses." In practically all of the cases cited the city had no say in
whether the establishment opened its doors or not. The locations were
properly zoned and no variance was required nor any change made to the
comprehensive plan. The only exceptions to this might be Nectar and San
Miguel's as the city would have had to approve their beer and wine license.
In all the other cases since the city was not asked to make any
accommodation for the new enterprise they effectively had no say in whether
they opened their doors or not. We are fortunate in that a person does not
have to go and genuflect before city government and obtain a blessing to
start a perfectly legal biz in a properly zoned commercial space, at least
for now.

I believe that in the majority of the instances where entrepreneurs did need
to go before the council and our illustrious mayor to obtain some sort of
dispensation they were roundly turned down.

To say Moscow is anti-growth is almost certainly incorrect but to say that
the MCA endorsed incumbent candidates are anti-growth is to strike much
closer to the mark. Support for Dan Carscallen, Walter Steed, and Wayne
Krauss will go along way toward improving our business climate as well as
peoples negative perceptions.