[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Oct 30 09:20:33 PDT 2007

Andreas,

Interesting question.

I don't.  But I also know that the best long term strategy for
addressing protectionism schemes is to offer relatively unfettered
free markets, including parity in foreign exchange currencies.

Many Americans don't know this, but we did effectively the same thing
with US currency (gold standard) by setting the US currency to a
fixed gold exchange price of  $32 per ounce.  We learned, the hard
way, that that type of economic policy doesn't work.

Free floating exchange rates (without fixed parity) is the de facto
standard for international trade.  Sooner or later the Chinese will
realize that and their currency policy will change.  Further more,
the international currency traders will arbitrage any gains or losses
in the Yuan.  It is tough to move from controlled markets to free
markets - incentives and wealth shifts have to be carefully
cultivated.  The Soviets have experience with this as well.  I am
guessing that China's foreign currency exchange policy is in part an
attempt to alleviate some of the anomalies that arise when moving
from a controlled economy to a free economy.

Cheers