[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Tue Oct 30 00:05:51 PDT 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 8:26 PM, Donovan Arnold wrote:

 >The City Council didn't approve the rezone when I was there. They
might have changed their mind at a later date.

The city council (during Mayor Comstocks reign) rejected the UI's
rezone application twice before (apparently) approving it on the
third attempt.  The reason they rejected it the first time was
because the representative from the UI was totally inept and clueless
and could not answer any of the council's questions.  At the same
meeting I believe they passed the Thompson family's request to annex
the property across from the cemetery.  The difference in the two
presentations was amazing.  Shelly Bennett had done her homework,
presented it well and was able to answer every question thrown her
way.  The UI representative knew virtually nothing about the UI's
request and was totally unprepared for the meeting.  For the second
application, the UI sent one of their VP's who read a letter from
President White and repeated the same spiel from the first meeting.
The VP was also unprepared and unable to answer the same questions.
I wasn't at the third meeting but I assume they finally sent someone
who actually had a clue.

 >Tidyman's is still in business, just not in Moscow.

I don't know about the Tidyman's chain, but the Moscow store was
hugely hurt by the arrival of Winco.  I'm guessing that was the main
reason the Moscow store went under.

 >True, it was the County, not the City, that pulled the trigger on
Naylor Farms, but I bet you $100 the City would not have ruled any
differently and would >have carried on the fight against them is they
got approval from the County.  To a business, it doesn't matter if it
is the actual city or county killing their >business, it is still
killing their business when they try to local here. 70% of the county
is the City.

I really don't see how you can blame the city of Moscow for something
they might or might not have done.  To tar and feather the city
council for the Naylor Farm issue is silly.

 >I think sales tax is the problem with the state government,
especially on food and OTC drugs and education materials. Moscow has
to high of taxes >because of school levies. I am not saying education
isn't worth funding well, but there is breaking point for what many
people on what they can afford to >give and the MSD has long passed it.

I agree with you about the state taxing food and medicine.  And the
extremely high property taxes, most of which goes to the school
district.

 >Best,
 >Donovan

In another email Donovan wrote:
"Many local businesses have been pushed out of the Palouse Mall and
the city has done nothing to protect them."

Yes, the Palouse Mall has kicked out quite a few 'local' businesses
and replaced them with national chains.  But just what is it that you
think the city council could have done about that?  How could they
have protected the businesses?  Personally, I think that what the
mall did was/is wrong, but as a landlord, I guess that's their
right.  I don't see how you can drag the city into it.

Take care,
Steven