[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 22:12:21 PDT 2007

Wingers remodeled their current building and it holds more customers than the old business.  Bonanza was a national or at least a big regional franchise that went bankrupt and not because of anything that had to do with Moscow.  Is Tucci's owned by the owners of Wingers?  Wingers has Tucci's menu in their window is why I ask.

keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    Is it fair to call Winger's a "replacement" building if the building it remodeled and now occupies was vacant for years prior to its acquisition by Winger's?

keely

> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:30:56 -0700
> From: aprilf at fingerlos.net
> To: vision2020 at moscow.com
> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth
>
> A perspective from Lurkerville...
>
> The only problem with Brandy's interesting list is that nearly every one of them is a replacement business, not a new one. That's not growth--that's maintenance. Don't forget Winger's doubled in size by reworking the old Bonanza building, and Tucci's took their old building. But, again, both are replacement businesses, not new ones. VJ's BBQ and Loco Grindz are more replacement business. Fastenal moved into a bigger building, and Animal House slowly moved into their old building (returning the building to a pet business). The Inland Blood Center is yet another replacement business, as is the list-beloved Moscow Food Co-Op. I'm admittedly not one that puts the magnifying glass to the council's meeting agendas, but offhand, I don't know that the city council had much influence on any of these, nor any of the additional replacements Brandy lists.
>
> What about totally new construction for a totally new business to Moscow? PAWS is one I can think of right off--it was neat to see an Arxx building go up from bare ground. The small malls (Rodeo Mall and Village Center) are businesses in their own respect, but at the same time, aren't really in this context. It's kind of like calling a condo complex a business--it sort of is, but I'm referring primarily to general public-interacting businesses in this context.
>
> If that's all the real growth there has been, I can see the support for the anti-growth perception.
>
> As for future replacement predictions, I already miss Stookey's for my show gelding's Purina Strategy supply, but I would guess that the building will be leveled and replaced by a recycling center expansion. And, of course, there's the URA ground, but who knows what will ultimately wind up there.
>
> April
>
> April Fingerlos
> Moscow, ID

> List services made available by First Step Internet,