[Vision2020] What is Jeff talking about? (was something else)

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sun Oct 28 19:36:55 PDT 2007

At 01:15 PM 10/28/2007, you wrote:

My responses follow your posts - and hopefully
you will take note of the history of our posts

>Again, there is a lot to say!

OK!

>First, you never answered this question: What is the GMA plan to keep Moscow
>from eventually smelling like Lewiston? Keeping out the single type of
>business that you mention below won't do it.

We must be operating in parallel universes.  The
"contributions of the current city council" issue
began with my post to the viz, the following request:
Perhaps Ms. Swanson would provide us with a list
of the economic development accomplishments of the current city government.
You then made the following post:
The real question, Jeff, is now that BJ has
responded to your question will you
read it and take note of it or will you continue
to spread the lie of anti-growth
just to get some of your friends elected?
I responded with a preamble
Joe, I do not appreciate my honesty being called
into question simply because we disagree on
selected issues.  It is a very disingenuous
tactic that you and your political allies use to
obfuscate the issues.  It is unbecoming of you
and very "anti-intellectual".  I would have
presumed that you would not resort to such behaviors.
and following the preamble I posted a rather
lengthy list of actions and decisions made by the
current city council that I argue create an aura
of anti-growth and development.
Not repeated here, but if you need to reference that list I can provide it.
Nowhere in any of the posts I have cited do I note the words "GMA".

So then you posted:
Here is the challenge to you, Jeff, and the GMA
candidates. What would count as bad growth?
After advising you that I am not on the board of
GMA and that in fact I am not a member in good
standing because I forget to pay my dues (but I
am planning to do so) and that I really could not
speak for the GMA, I responded with:
After considerable thought, and given the
constraints in real estate that exist in Moscow
(no need to preclude businesses that couldn't
locate in Moscow because there is no room for
them or they require infrastructure that we don't
have), heavy manufacturing (large heavy
equipment, aircraft, large-scale auto) would
probably not be a good fit.  That said, a custom
manufacturer - say manufacturing small hybrid
cars, wind turbines, solar energy systems, ATV's,
bicycles, garden power tools, farm implements to
serve Palouse farming specifically could fit very
nicely.  Also, I have long advocated wood
manufacturing - furniture, etc.  Hopefully, that answers your question.
And now you tell me that my example won't count.
Are you suggesting that heavy manufacturing would be alright with you?

>Second, here's what you wrote to Bruce, which prompted my initial comment:
>"My post was to highlight for Joe Campbell some of the issues that lead to a
>conclusion that the current city government (or the current climate
>in Moscow) is anti-growth or anti business."

Yes, and I did just that.

>By calling the MCA anti-growth I, of course,
>meant saying this about their supported
>candidates, who are all current council members. So, there it is.

Well, one of the problems with this list serve is
that it is very difficult to know what you meant
to say.  I stand by my response - read K Arrow -
you will gain an appreciation for why decision
theory is framed around the actions of individuals, not groups.

>Third, logic is the mother of all sciences. It
>is not an empirical science -- but
>neither is math! Logic, like math, is a formal
>science upon which all empirical sciences,
>like economics, are dependent. Logic is the
>science of correct reasoning and without
>correct reasoning all sciences are reduced to
>collections of data; they have no theoretical
>or predictive or explanatory significance.

You may face a validation problem with your
declarations about logic and science. This issue
is not worth pursuing in a general public forum -
an angels on heads of pins debate that is best
reflected in some academic journal.  If it makes
you happy, I will concede that logic is a formal
science.  Ratiocination has intrigued me over the years.

  And, I am a Thomas Kuhn apostle.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Chemistry>Chemistry
is often called the central science because of
its role in connecting
“<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Hard_science>hard
sciences” such as
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Physics>physics
with the
“<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Soft_science>soft
sciences” such as
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Biology>biology,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Medicine>medicine,
and the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Earth_science>earth
sciences.[1][2]. The nature of this relationship
is one of the main topics in the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Philosophy_of_chemistry>philosophy
of chemistry and in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Scientometrics>scientometrics.
The phrase was popularized by its use in a
textbook by Theodore L. Brown, titled Chemistry:
The Central Science, which was first published in
1977, with a tenth edition published in 2005.[3]
The central role of chemistry can be seen in the
systematic and hierarchical classification of the
sciences by
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Auguste_Comte>Auguste
Comte in which each discipline provides a more
general frameworks for the area it precedes
(mathematics astronomy physics chemistry
physiology and medicine social sciences).[4]
>And I didn't say that economics was not a
>science. I implied that it was not an
>exact science, as you seem to think it is. I don't much care if your teachers
>told you otherwise. They were wrong. This is a matter of the philosophy of
>science, not a matter of economics. Your teachers are not the experts here.

No, I never implied anything of the
sort.  Economics is quite logically, the science
of choice, hence a social science.

>The idea that economics is more rigorous than logic, or math, or physics, or
>philosophy for that matter is a complete joke.
>I'm not saying it isn't rigorous,
>of course it is. But it isn't more rigorous, nor
>is it as exact as the first three.
>I will grant that it is more exact than philosophy but not more rigorous.

Yes, indeed, it was a joke!  Apparently, you did not get it.

>Fourth, 'fallacy' does not mean "deceptive" or
>"misleading." A fallacy is a bad argument
>that is psychologically persuasive. You can
>present a fallacy even if you are not intending
>to deceive or mislead anyone. All that matters
>is that it is a bad argument -- one with false
>premises or invalid reasoning, for instance -- that is nonetheless persuasive.

fallacy (plural <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki//wiki/fallacies>fallacies)
    * Deceptive or false appearance;
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki//wiki/deceitfulness>deceitfulness;
that which misleads the eye or the mind; deception.
    * An argument, or apparent argument, which
professes to be decisive of the matter at issue, while in reality it is not.
Well, you had accused me of telling a lie in your
and masking the lie word with "fallacy"
Fallacy fits both of our argument frames.  Call it a draw on this point???

>Fifth, I find it ironic that you keep accusing
>me of 'name-calling' since you've called me
>'anti-intellectual' among other things. It is
>clear there is a lot of name-calling from both
>sides and that the GMA does not have the moral
>high-ground, as you have suggested.
>Apart from my comments to Crabtree, you would be
>hard pressed to find much name-
>calling in my posts -- though like you I enjoy
>pressing the envelope and putting in a few
>jabs with carefully constructed conditionals
>like: If Crabtree is right, then the GMA is ...

Joe, you called me a liar.  I am an academic just
like you.  Deception, misrepresentation, lies,
falsehoods are all breaches of the academic
community.  I consider your statement most
anti-intellectual.  Maybe you did not "mean" to
say that, maybe you did - how would I know??

There is very little in this world that I can
control - especially what partisans say during
the heat of an election.  But I can refuse to
engage in dialogue that results in insults, bad
behaviors and the like.  A civil discourse in
interesting to me - sometimes on many
levels.  Perhaps we can enjoy continued
conversation on issues that we care about.

>Certainly I've been pushing things lately but
>part of it was a response to your
>overly moralistic posts, and in particular the absurd suggestion that the GMA
>was morally superior to the MCA. Give me a break!

Please point out to me where I stated or inferred
that the GMA was morally superior to the MCA.  If
you can point to a quote, I will most assuredly retract that statement.

>The GMA website is run
>by Wilson's PR-guy and contains, among other things, a comment implying
>that the current council lacks common sense. If that isn't an instance of
>offensive name-calling, I’m not sure what is.
>In light of this, your calls for a
>nice, friendly campaign without name-calling
>sound fake. Let’s park the moral
>lectures and get back to the issues.

Well, I don't have any input or control over the
GMA website.  Perhaps you should direct your
remarks to them.  But, I would have to say, many
of the issues I cited in the list of
decisions/actions by the current council call their judgment into question.

>Lastly, I've never paid my MCA dues, so I'm not a member!
>Can we leave the cheap technicalities aside, as well?

Well, I am confused because in the previous post,
you noted to me that you were a board member of
the MCA.  MCA must be organized a bit differently
from the GMA.  GMA members pay dues.

Well, there we are.