[Vision2020] real economic development in Moscow

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 26 19:49:35 PDT 2007

Darrell,

Another thing, vis-a-vis, real economic development, is that I might live in
Garfield rather than Moscow, were it eight miles from WSU. Economics is
important, so you can't underestimate the value of WSU and UI.

I'm not here because of the local businesses -- as much as I like them. I'm
here because I wanted to teach in a small town at a university in the pacific
northwest. If WSU were 8 miles from Garfield, that might be where I'd be.

I lived in New Jersey. I can shop on-line. You can get anything from anywhere.

People live in Moscow, over Pullman and Garfield, for other reasons.

Best, Joe

--------------

Bruce wrote:

Darrell,

It is nice to have you here, offering observations.

That being said, have you any solutions to offer?  How do you propose
to change that "anti-business" perception, that you say may have no
basis in reality, (though you don't say it doesn't, either)?  One
group that is perceived as "anti-business" is struggling mightily to
correct that misperception, www.moscowcivic.org .  I would assume
that you would agree that is a step in the right direction and would
be a positive means of helping to eliminate the (I believe) eroneous
anti-business charges.  Is it helpful to have pillars of the business
community running advertisements ad nauseum touting our community as
anti-business?

How would you as Chamber E.D. propose to eliminate this "anti-business
'perception' " ?

Bruce